Doubling RAM speed possible?

vbimport

I’m sure that I remember spotting somewhere that if you have 2 identical DDR sticks then you can run ‘dual channel mode’ or something which doubles the speed?

If I’m not taking nonsense, would someone mind educating me?

Dual Channel (something like RAID0 for RAM) must be supported by CPU and mainboard chipset. Read the manual of your mainboard in order to see if DC is supported.

A speed gain by 5% can be expected.

If you can give the specifications of your computer it would help in answering your question. Like mciahel stated, your hardware (i.e. motherboard, CPU and/or memory) must support dual channel mode for this to work. Also, the timing of the memory that is set in the BIOS can make a big difference in memory performance. Changing these BIOS settings though isn’t for the novice computer user.

yes as mentioned earlier, you can not double RAM speeds, if I recall correctly a maxx gain of 8% is is attainable at best by using what you ar ereferring to as a dual channel setup. The only other boost one can achieve from RAM is looking for chips that have lower CAS Latency, which also comes with a heavy price tag, and are often hard to find; even this will usually not make noticeable difference in day to day PC operations.

Of course, sorry. It’s an Asus A7N8-E mobo, socket 462 with an AMD 3000+ CPU.

Two identical sticks of DDR 400 RAM. In the manual, all that I have is in the specs it says that it has ‘dual carriage architecture’, and it has this table:

Yay just put one stick in A? and another in B1 and you’re fine. :slight_smile:
BIOS will show you whether its running in dual channel mode or not.

Google.be hits for “nforce2 dual-channel”: http://www.google.be/search?um=1&hl=nl&q=nforce2+“dual-channel”&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

Have a look at the digit-life comparison and the wikipedia entry. Dual-channel doubles the available memory “bandwidth”. Think of it as doubling the no. of lanes on a highway or making a river-bed twice as wide. It all depends on how much traffic there is (or how much it rains) :).

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2028289]Of course, sorry. It’s an Asus A7N8-E mobo, socket 462 with an AMD 3000+ CPU.

Two identical sticks of DDR 400 RAM. In the manual, all that I have is in the specs it says that it has ‘dual carriage architecture’, and it has this table:[/QUOTE]

What do you have in there now, in regards to RAM? You are already probably running dual channel if you have two sticks in now.

I have 1GB of RAM.

I changed a stick to another slot as kg_evilboy said and it now runs in dual channel mode in POST where it said before that it was single channel, so… job one.

Easier than I thought! Cheers everyone.

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2028519]I have 1GB of RAM.

I changed a stick to another slot as kg_evilboy said and it now runs in dual channel mode in POST where it said before that it was single channel, so… job one.

Easier than I thought! Cheers everyone.[/QUOTE]

I see… you had 512 MB sticks in slot A1 & A2, and move one of them to slot B1… surprised it wasn’t configured that way already??

Anyways, if you really want to see a jump in speed put that 512 stick back and get another I Gig stick rated the same speed and insert that into slot B… then you’ll be running 2 Gigs in Dual Channel, and you ‘will’ notice the difference…