Double sided CDs

Does anybody know if there are double sided CD-R around ?

I wonder why there are double sided DVD and I could not find any double sided CD-R …
That would be a great thing.
Imagine the use for VideoCD or for Audio CD…

naah they don’t exist:(

Originally posted by Zibri
[B]Does anybody know if there are double sided CD-R around ?

I wonder why there are double sided DVD and I could not find any double sided CD-R …
That would be a great thing.
Imagine the use for VideoCD or for Audio CD… [/B]

Imagine the laser , not able to read it

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

Imagine the laser , not able to read it [/B]

oooookay…my lack of DVD knowledge is about to shine.
BUT with double sided DVDs, dont you have to turn the DVD over as the player cannot read both sides ?

and wouldnt the same apply for a CD ?

P.S, i think the main drawback would be labeling your collection.
And then the awesome prank of mixing up someones 2000 CD collention :a heheh

Yes… sure… but it would be nicer to have 2 sides instead of 1.

Also with DVD you have to turn the disc over…

With Dual-Layer You don’t have to turn the disc over.

Although a dual sided CD would be cool… I wouldn’t mind flipping it over.

Originally posted by Huzzy
oooookay…my lack of DVD knowledge is about to shine.
BUT with double sided DVDs, dont you have to turn the DVD over as the player cannot read both sides ?

Yes and no , there are double layered DVD’s (one layer on each side) and there are double layered DVD’s with 2 layers on ONE side). In general one DVD layer is 0.6 mm (which means on a 1.2mm disc you CAN have two layers).


and wouldnt the same apply for a CD ?

Nope , only 1 layer possible in the 1.2 mm thickness


P.S, i think the main drawback would be labeling your collection.
And then the awesome prank of mixing up someones 2000 CD collention :a heheh

Wait and see for a certain article :slight_smile:

Labelling ?
Same problem on dual sided DVD…
I mean… why there are dual sided DVD and not dual sided CD ?
Imagine to produce a half-thick CD and glue 2 of them together…
This way we would have:

=================


=================

Where “-----” is the recordable surface and “=====” the plastic support (half of the normal thickness).

Unless you had one of the new Yamaha Burners and never filled the CD’s to capacity…

… How would you label them???

How do YOU label a double sided DVD ???

I just don’t… it’s case is meant for that.

Originally posted by Zibri
[B]Labelling ?
Same problem on dual sided DVD…
I mean… why there are dual sided DVD and not dual sided CD ?
Imagine to produce a half-thick CD and glue 2 of them together…
This way we would have:

=================


=================

Where “-----” is the recordable surface and “=====” the plastic support (half of the normal thickness). [/B]

Wouldn’t work, due to laser calibration, I think.

Originally posted by Zibri
[B]Labelling ?
Same problem on dual sided DVD…
I mean… why there are dual sided DVD and not dual sided CD ?
Imagine to produce a half-thick CD and glue 2 of them together…
This way we would have:

=================


=================

Where “-----” is the recordable surface and “=====” the plastic support (half of the normal thickness). [/B]

a standard red laser in a cd player cannot pick up that info anymore , it’s certified for 1.2mm

a dvd player/writer could pick it up , so technically yes , you could make them and burn them, but it would be rather obsolete, since if you already have a dvd writer , why not go for dvd’s :slight_smile:

Sanyo CRD-DV1 is supposed to use 1.3GB with 12cm CD-R disks. No idea as to how.

I think that’s a double density cd…

The problem with doing a double sided is that cds have the recording surface (the foil layer) on one side, where as dvds have the layer in the middle. Thus, when in cd-rom mode or with a cd-rom drive, the laser focuses on the back of the disk, but in dvd-rom mode, it focuses on the middle. The problem with making a double cd (in essence, glueing two cds together) is that almost all drives are not all that capable of handling things thicker than a normal cd/dvd thickness.

Gluing Two cd’s together works just fine as long as you do it back to back and MAKE SURE YOU CENTER THEM PERFECTLY. I accidently put two disk into a drive when they first came out and it played the bottom disk perfectly. That where I got the idea for two sided disks. Could not find anyone making them so I coated the tops of two disks with acrylic spray and bonded them together with a homemade die. Out of the six years I have been making them i have had only a few screw ups. People, do not be afraid to experiment, cd drives are cheap. Do not use cheap cd-r’s and do not use a glue that will eat the media up. Find something acrylic. Do not use them in 52x or 56x drives. The two disks WILL seperate. :eek: :frowning: :o . I have never had one seperate in a 42x using verbatim disks and 3m industrial acrylic bonding agent.

holy crap…!! you actually glued them??

First, Welcome to the forum.

But why are you reacting on a thread of more than one year old … and the post before yours was also a year after the thread “stopped”??

What about CDs of Artists that have music and pictures? Don’t you flip them over to get the pictures on your PC and play the music on the other side?