Double Layer Media?

vbimport

I’ve heard the term but have NO IDEA what it means…

When I insert the blank disc I get an error message reading, "Media inserted in drive F: is single layer. Please insert a double layer media to start the write process.

Can someone please explain this to me?

It means that the file you’re trying to burn is larger than a SL disc’s capacity 4.7G… DL is 8.5G.
What burning proggy are you using? What file size?

DVD Sizes

The DVD sizes can be a bit confusing. There are basically 4 different DVD Sizes,

DVD-5, holds around 4 700 000 000 bytes and that is 4.37 computer GB where 1 kbyte is 1024 bytes* . DVD+R/DVD+RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW supports this format. Also called Single Sided Single Layered. This is the most common DVD Media, often called 4.7 GB Media.

DVD-10, holds around 9 400 000 000 bytes and that is 8.75 computer GB. DVD+R/DVD+RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW supports this format. Also called Double Sided Single Layered.

DVD-9, holds around 8 540 000 000 bytes and that is 7.95 computer GB. DVD+R supports this format. Also called Single Sided Dual Layered. This media is called DVD-R9, DVD-R DL, DVD+R9, DVD+R DL or 8.5 GB Media.

DVD-18, holds around 17 080 000 000 bytes and that is 15.9 computer GB. DVD+R supports this format. Also called Double Sided Dual Layered.

• In the computer world is 1 KB data = 1024 bytes so 4 700 000 000 bytes / 1024 = 4 589 843KB / 1024 = 4482MB / 1024 = 4.37GB. See section 3.3 in the DVDDemystified FAQ here.

DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL and DVD-R/DVD-RW exact sizes
DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )
DVD+R DL = 8 547 993 600 bytes ( 8152 MB )

Sorry don’t mean to confuse you…I just love copy and paste,don’t you?

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Can we end users even purchase DVD18 and where??

I bet if we could the discs would be almost the same price as a Blu Ray disc.

[quote=mrs.melissabaggett;2080248]I’ve heard the term but have NO IDEA what it means…

When I insert the blank disc I get an error message reading, "Media inserted in drive F: is single layer. Please insert a double layer media to start the write process.

Can someone please explain this to me?[/quote]

I see no one has asked you this so I will. Are you just wanting to back up DVDs? If so then all you really need is to get a compresion program like DVDFab and you’ll be able to fit everything on a single layer disc. You may lose some quality in backing up the entire disc but it probably wont be noticable.

We haven’t asked cuz, the thread title is ,
"Double Layer Media???
But good ? none the less…:wink:

I am curious, I thought the term was Dual Layer. I haven’t seen a drive request double layer but I have seen dual layer. As for askin her the question about what she plans on doing…it just kind off seemed like something that may help.

[QUOTE=jaewest1;2080312]I am curious, I thought the term was Dual Layer. I haven’t seen a drive request double layer but I have seen dual layer.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, dual layer and double layer are used synonomously, when in fact, they are not.
As t0nee1 posted above…

A double layer disc is a double-sided dvd with what essentially is a dvd5 on each, opposing side of the disc (the size varies depending on what article you read, but each side is single layer). These are also called flipper discs, which is a more accurate way to describe them.

Dual layer discs are what we all use when referring to DL media. These are single-sided dual layer discs…ie., both layers are on the same side, not opposing sides.