Double layer DVDs (DVD9) and 4X DVDRW drives

I read in an article that the existing 4X DVD RW drives have no chance to write double layer blanc DVDs because of a hardware “problem” (weak laser beam, which isn’t a problem in 8X drives). :a
Can you confirm that? Have you heard it too?

Yes, for DL writing, special DL writers will be produced (and I guess they’ll become meanstream quite soon).

Another bad thing to this DL thing is that a very big number of DVD players has problems with these DL discs… that means that players will have to be firmware updated or be replaced, in order to read the DL DVDR discs.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Yes, for DL writing, special DL writers will be produced (and I guess they’ll become meanstream quite soon).

Another bad thing to this DL thing is that a very big number of DVD players has problems with these DL discs… that means that players will have to be firmware updated or be replaced, in order to read the DL DVDR discs. [/B]

So, if I got it right, the following things will probably happen:

1. The 4X will not be able to write 8.5 discs
  2. The 8X might be able to write 8.5 discs but it’s not certain
  3. The new DVD burners will produce copies that will not play on most standalone DVD players (I read the opposite in the same article).
  4. If (3) is correct, we really don’t need the new DVD writers for DVD video but only for backing up more data.

if i’m reading u correctly, u seem to think that the current generation of 8x dvd burners will be able to burn dual-layered dvds, while the 4x ones will not, which would be wrong.

dual-layered burning will require completely new burners, and a drive’s ability to burn dual-layered dvds has nothing to do with its max burn speed.

as for the dvd-video issue, u can be sure that newer dvd players will support dual-layered dvds even if current ones can’t.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
[B]if i’m reading u correctly, u seem to think that the current generation of 8x dvd burners will be able to burn dual-layered dvds, while the 4x ones will not, which would be wrong.

dual-layered burning will require completely new burners, and a drive’s ability to burn dual-layered dvds has nothing to do with its max burn speed.

as for the dvd-video issue, u can be sure that newer dvd players will support dual-layered dvds even if current ones can’t. [/B]

I’m translating (as precicely as I can, including highlights) a part of the foresaid article (on-line PC Magazine, Greek Edtion):

“Although the current DVD recorders 8X have the necessary energy in their laser beam (30mW), for writting a DVD+R9 disc, nobody can assure that a firmware update is enough for converting them in DVD+R9 writers - and this because the official specifications for the DVD+R9 writers will not be out before the end of December 2003. The sure thing is that the 4X DVD recorders will not be able to write on DVD+R9 discs because of their low energy laser beam.”

It’s not a matter of speed but a matter of the laser beam type/power between 4X and 8X.

ah, since u gave no mention of firmware updates in ur posts, i had no idea that that’s what u were actually referring to. dual-layered burning was initially demonstrated using current generation hardware, but i read somewhere that the possibility of flashing a current burner to be able to burn dual-layered dvds is doubtful at best. also, if this type of update were possible, the companies would stand to lose a lot of money in lost sales of dual-layered burners, so i doubt they’d allow it to happen.

I really hate to go against you Dee-ehn but if I’m not mistaken almost all of the DVD movies out now are dual layered. Else they wouldn’t be able to include all the extras and the movie. This is why when people want to make backups that they either put the movie onto one disc, if it’s less than 2 hours, or put the entire DVD onto 2 or more DVD-Rs.

As for the whole things that 8x DVD burners will be able to burn DL discs, I think it’s a bunch of croc. If they can’t now then how would a firmware update change it, even if it has the power requirements.

I think its a ploy from the DVD manufacturers to get you to buy the 8X burner now and NOT wait for the true dual-layer writers to come out before you buy.

Its all about profits!