DosFlash V2.0 patched to support BH16NS40/BH16NS55 drives

IF you followed the instructions & dumped the original FW, you have 2 choices:

• Flash the drive with the dump (leaves you where you started)

• Use the ‘EEPROM Data Mover’ to transfer your calibration data from your dump to the ‘clean’ image.

Otherwise, dunno… you MAY be stuck with a brick.

Attention flashers:

I still have 9 LG-WH16NS40s, svc code NS50, rom ver. 1.02 manufactured between Sept 2016 and August 2017, original factory firmware loaded no flashing required plug and play and backup your 4K discs, for sale, at cost.

I also have 7 LG-BH16NS40s, same specs as above. These are the retail packaged version of the WH16NS40 meaning these drives have spent their lives in protective styro foam end caps rather than stacked 10 high with zero protection.

Arriving soon 4 original factory firmware loaded ASUS BW-16D1HT, manufactured March 2017, firmware 3.00d (macOS will report the d, windows no). Due to all the overblown hype because of the extra 2x you gain in speed, which is negligible in the long run, these will still be for sale at cost but not cheap, due to multiple ships, and a cash tip to the manager who made it happen (long story, best told offline).

So if you value an authentic UHD friendly drive that’s not had it’s firmware inbred using a dos utility in the year 2018 by all means drop me a line at alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com and you’ll have your drive two days later*

*if you live in the SF Bay Area you’ll have your drive the same day, and possibly a beer.

Plenty of references on makemkv and avs forums from happy users. Each drive tested by me with a virgin 4K UHD and guaranteed to work (warranty still intact, because, ya know, it hasn’t had it’s firmware polluted).

thank you for reading,

Alex

Successfully downgraded WH16NS60 from 1.01 back to 1.00. Thanks for the clean firmware and guide. It now works again with DeUHD.

I have been unable to downgrade my WH16NS60 from 1.01 to 1.00. Everything runs smoothly, but when I get to the last step of writing of the firmware I keep getting the error “Firmware file is not present!”

I can’t upload the backup that I did, nor the bin file created from the mover stage, since I am a newbie.

I ended up being able to downgrade my WH16NS60. Thank you so very much for posting these instructions and for all the work that you have put into it. I’m not sure what was going wrong with my previous attempts, but what I did this time that worked was to install a fresh copy of 32 bit Windows 7 Home onto a spare hard drive, and didn’t do any updates (in fact I never even connected it to the internet). Then when I went through the steps at the start of this thread I was able to downgrade my BIOS from 1.01 to 1.00 in about 5 minutes. I wish I would have just done this before rather than messing around with Windows 10, then a Windows 8 computer I have running Windows Media Center, and then the Rufus USB boot drive - none of those worked for me. Total time including installing Windows 7 was about 30 minutes - Versus the 4 hours I wasted on it previously trying it the other ways, heh. Thanks again, czary2mary.

I get an BH16NS55 V.1.03. I try to downgrade the Firmware with the Windows method. I get the following Error:

Any ideas?

Is this a modernized version by us DosFlash V2.0?
If so, then there should not be such a message.? !

The message indicates lack of access to the device.
There may be many reasons.
Which system, hard drive in IDE mode, what SATA controller, SATA drivers?

I’m getting a weird issue when I open DOSFlash x64 my cd drive disables itself.

When I re-enable drive still does not show up by program and if I close DosFlash V2 and re open the drive is disabled again.

how did you do this I have same drive but program keeps disabling my cd drive

Yes, it is a Version from here.
System is Windows 7, 32Bit, Sata controllers in IDE-Mode, standarddriver from Windows 7 Image.
I also tried the DOS Method with the same problem.
Also I have another Drive here (ASUS BC12D2HT) with Firmware 1.00. Here I get the same error.

Check exactly what SATA controller you have on the motherboard to which the drives are connected. Check afterwards whether there are SATA drivers from the SATA controller manufacturer for Windows 7 32bit!
There is no program to access the device.

Only the modified version of DosFlash runs on 32 bit systems.

Ok, I can install windows 7 next question My custom computer is new and seems my motherboard doesn’t allow IDE only ACHI and Raid is there anyway to get this to work without using IDE

I am trying to flash a WH16NS40 using TheBelcherMan’s DOS method. I get to step through step 9, it detects my optical drive and assigns it port 0 as primary. However there is no prompt “What do you want to do?”, it simply is a flashing cursor and regardless of what key I hit on the keyboard it does nothing but continue to show a flashing cursor.

i downgrade my WH16NS60 from 1.01 to 1.00. in windows xp, everything runs smoothly, but now the drive can’t read any disc !!
HELP ME PLEASE

I hope you made a backup using dosflash before the downgrade (and store it in a safe place). That’s not only common sense, but in this case a must, as the flash contains data unique to the drive (such as serial number, but most importantly calibration data of at least the OPU).
Since you have a new drive (NS60) I’m not sure the data mover (to copy the unique data from your backup to the file to be flashed) still works as it should, although it is likely.
Did you copy the unique data from your backup to the 1.00 firmware before flashing?

It does run on my 64-bits Windows 7 without any issues (as does the unmodified DosFlash64). It still uses the 64-bits portio driver, of course (64-bit OS cannot use 32-bit drivers), but it still works fine. I backed up and flashed my 1.03 BH16NS55 just fine with it.

no i did not do backup, i tried to update with firmware 1.01 from LG website without positive result …
my drive is dead? Or is it possible to fix it?

Which is the method you followed to downgrade your unit ?

I think you can throw your drive into the toilet.

I based myself with the method found here
https://club.myce.com/t/dosflash-v2-0-patched-to-support-bh16ns40-bh16ns55-drives/399911/152?u=anthony_dumais