DosFlash V2.0 patched to support BH16NS40/BH16NS55 drives

Since there are a number of LG BH16NS40 / ASUS BW-16D1HT drive users who misflashed their drives with wrong firmwares (typically, flashing drives using NS40/NS48 hardware with firmwares designed for drives with SVC Code NS50/NS51/NS55/NS58, using my unlocked flasher), we’ve decided to patch well-known DosFlash utility to make it support newer LG drives.

Here are the instructions how to flash your drive with proper firmware using patched version of DosFlash, if “normal” unlocked flasher cannot be used because of “CheckSum is mismatched” or “Write DRAM NG” errors. Please read them CAREFULLY before trying something!

1. First, you need to find the computer with DosFlash-compatible operating system and SATA controller, configured to work in IDE mode. It’s known that DosFlash is a very low-level utility and works not with every controller and not with every system. 32-bit Windows versions will work, if the portio32.sys driver can be installed. Sometimes, it’s necessary to disable driver signature enforcement (google how to do it, if you don’t know) in order to install portio32.sys correctly. If everything is OK and DosFlash runs without errors and can recognize your BH16NS40/BH16NS55 drive, go to next step.

The sample test demonstrates the firmware downgrade on VinPower version of WH16NS58 drive with installed 1.V1-02 firmware. In this version LG has blocked the possibility of firmware downgrade using the unlocked flasher: if you will try, you will get an infamous “Write DRAM NG 05/24/00” error.

2 . Read flash from your drive using patched DosFlash, selecting “Read Flash” in Task combobox and clicking the button with same name. If flash was successfully read, go to next step.

3 . Prepare the clean firmware you want to flash into your drive (e.g. extracted from the official LG flashing utility). Execute “BH16NS40_EEPROM_Data_Mover.exe”, which is bundled with patched DosFlash in the same archive. Select the firmware you just dumped with DosFlash (note that a dump made by DevilsClaw’s Flasher will also work), then select the clean firmware you want to flash, then select the location where to save the firmware, prepared for flashing with DosFlash. It will be made of clean firmware you want to flash and the EEPROM data, transferred from the dump you made from your drive.

4 . Now the most important part: flashing the drive with a prepared firmware. Select “Write Flash” in a Task combobox and click the button, then select your prepared firmware. Now, if you’re lucky, flash image will be written and your drive will become functional with new firmware. If DosFlash reports about write errors, try flash the firmware again: it’s not uncommon to have the flash correctly written from third or fourth try. When the flash will be successfully written, you can read it from your drive again and compare with the prepared firmware byte-by-byte: they should be identical.

5 . Reboot the computer to make Windows correctly recognize the drive after flashing.

The described method can be used also for downgrading/crossflashing BH16NS55 drive with installed 1.03 firmware, since manufacturer has blocked the possibility of crossflashing using unlocked flasher in this version.

All the required software is included in attached archive. Good luck! - blackened2687 & czary2mary
DosFlash32_BH16NS40_patched.zip (104,2 KB)

Clean_NS50_compatible_firmwares.
Clean_NS50_compatible_firmwares.7z (6,3 MB)

Clean versions of firmware 1.01 have been added to the Japanese versions of BH14NS58 and BH16NS58
clean_firmwares_BH14NS58_BH16NS58_1.01.7z (1,5 MB)

A self-cleaning dump firmware tool has been added.:
BH16NS40_Firmware_Dump_Cleaner.zip (5,8 KB)

We add clean firmware for LG WH16NS60 fw.1.00 and LG BU40N fw.1.00 models

LG WH16NS60 fw.1.00 Clean

LG WH16NS60 fw. 1.00 Clean.zip (1,3 MB)

LG BU40N fw.1.00 Clean

LG BU40N fw.1.00 Clean.zip (1,3 MB)

Firmwares we are looking for: ( dump DosFlash or DevilsClaw’s Flasher),

BE16NU50 - 1.00
BH14NS50 - 1.00
BH16NS50 - 1.00
BH16NS40 SVC Code NS50/NS51 - 1.00
WH14NS40 SVC Code NS50 - 1.01
WH16NS40 SVC Code NS50 - 1.00, 1.01
ASUS BW-16D1H-U - all versions
ASUS BW-12B1ST a (2016+) - all versions
ASUS BW-16D1X-U

Also we are looking for LG Blu-Ray Combo drives firmwares:

CH12NS40 - 1.00
ASUS BC-12D2HT (2016+) - all versions
ASUS BC-12B1ST b (2016+) - all versions

Help revert LG WH16NS40 back to FW 1.02 or crossflash
LG BH16NS40 Crossflashed now its Dead
LG WH14NS40 doesn't read 4k UHD Discs
Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here
Titles Support List
Results/Discussion: LG WH16NS58DUP (SVC. Code NS58, 2016+)
Titles Support List
LG GHB0N Drive Identification and Crossflash

Nice work this will help lots of people.:biggrin:

Asus BW-16D1HT 3.01 DevilsClaw’s Dump:

Thank you very much .:slight_smile:

Clean_NS50_compatible_firmwares.

Added clean version of Asus BW-16D1HT fw.3.01 - thanks to TwinParadox.

BH16NS40_Firmware_Dump_Cleaner.

A self-cleaning dump firmware tool has been added.:

This is awesome!

Thank you very much czary2mary1 for this amazing effort. It worked!

I was able to revert my WH16NS40 to 1.02.

Clean versions of firmware 1.01 have been added to the Japanese versions of LG BH14NS58 and LG BH16NS58

Is this your own dump or a copy of the firmware posted in the makemkv forum?
Nevermind, both firmware files have the same checksum. :wink:

I do not know - we received a valid copy from @TwinParadox.

Great work @czary2mary1! Thank you so much for all your effort.

Brilliant work as usual and very useful indeed! Thank you! :flower:

thank you very much for this wonderful tool.

I just got two brand new BH16NS55 svc NS55 and dumped both their firmware with DevilsClaw’s Flasher.

While I compared these two for fun I found a large part in the FW which is different which surprised me, beginning at 0x1d0000 and ending at 0x1dffff (which btw. is not included in the cleaned FW but reaplied when using the mover program)

One drive has the whole part filled with “FF” and the other begins with “F0 00 00 00 00 00 03 30 06 90 0C F0 18 00 F0 29 F0 23 F0 23 F0 23 F0 23 F0 23 F0 23 F0 23 00 F0 23 F0”

Has someone else saw this difference or is willing to share what this part is about (laser calibration data, Host Revocation List (HRL), AACS certificate or something else?) and if these data is needed to be copied when trying to crossflash?

thank you

I don’t know why does the manufacturer fill this region with data in some drives (usually, it’s empty), and what’s this data for, but it is not rewritten when the drive is flashed with an official flasher, so I’ve decided to transfer the data from this region, too, when preparing the flash image for DosFlash. In the “clean” flash, if this region is not empty, the official flasher will refuse the firmware and will report about checksum error - first it was spotted by cvs (thank you!) when we tried to clean the BW-16D1HT 1.01 dump. As I’ve said, I don’t think this data is important, but better to be safe, then sorry.

I’ve also noticed that dumps of the same drive and firmware may vary.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it possible to flash the firmware for the BE16NU50 drive over USB using DosFlash? As this is an external drive, I’d prefer to not crack open the housing if I can.

DosFlash unfortunately does not work with USB. It will not detect any USB-connected drive.

Well that’s an annoyance. The drive’s just a standard SATA on the inside, so if the one I’ve ordered has the “fixed” firmware, I’ll just need to take it apart to flash it.

Thanks for the help!

In the middle is the BluRay HLDS NS50 hardware construction so theoretically there should be no problem with this model connected to the SATA controller.

@czary2mary, I just noticed what kind of tricks Zippyshare tries to play. Feel free to upload the firmwares to the forum, if it allows it that is, will check the settings.

You can simply drag and drop the files from e.g Windows Explorer to the editor (where you type your answers) and it will automatically upload the file and link it.

See attachment below:

clean_firmwares_BH14NS58_BH16NS58_1.01.7z (1.5 MB)