DOS Boot from a usb memory stick

vbimport

Is it possible?

depends on your BIOS.
some (already) support this, but even if it does, WinXP would not boot from a USB-Device (without heavy hacking… :wink: ).

My problem it’s just to have DOS working

more simple is … bootDisc from Win98 :P, about usb memory stick… its more hardware… bios setings… i gues… or
u can use windows bootmenager to do that =] (check boot.ini file on HDD) but i dont know how to … ;p

thanks Bes

glad to help =] remember DOS is the most stable Microsoft OS ;p

Personally, if I were going to do that, I’d be doing it with Linux. It can certainly boot from anything, provided everything’s set up right. I’ve seen plenty of Live CDs & DVDs, so why not get a big (>= 4 GB) and boot of that?

u dont need DVD for dos ;p I chose windows boot menager because Iuppone got win XP sp2 ;]

somehow I remembered this thread although it is somewhat old when bumping into this site:

http://ebcd.pcministry.com/

The ability to use the USB memory stick as a boot device is 100% bios-dependent. If your BIOS supports it, it’ll work. If not, it won’t. Simple as that.

IF your BIOS supports it, just do what you’d do to make a FLOPPY bootable - put MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS on it as well as a COMMAND.COM, and you’re done.

DOS does not natively support USB, so sometimes software such as this which is re-written is needed.
My BIOS fully supports it but boooting is not always successful for me.

It has nothing to do with DOS. DOS doesn’t natively KNOW what kind of device it’s booting from. If your BIOS implements INT13 support for USB drives, then DOS will boot. Period. Full stop.

I suggest you try www.langa.com , the best site for advice/tweaks. p.