Doom 3 Question

vbimport

I hope what I read about a week ago is a lie but I’m sure it isn’t. Can anyone confirm 100% that the PC version will NOT have a co-op mode and that only the XBOX version will? I read it in an article on gamespot.com

Thanks =) This game is going to rock (but it would rock more with co-op) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

lol highly doubt it.

I remember reading that star wars galaxies was going to be a playstation only game on a game site too. IT MUST BE TRUE RIGHT!!! (not like it really would have mattered)

in the April 2004 GamePro, the cover story is on Doom 3, and this is part of what they say about the Xbox version:

Doom 3 will feature not only four-player deathmatch like its PC sibling but also two-man co-operative play.

based on the wording, it would definitely seem that only the Xbox version will have co-op.

That’s kind of sad =\ I mean part of what made the original dooms so awesome were the co-op mode that they offered. I think it is nice to have co-op modes in games just because it is a nice change of pace. I remember playing in co-op modes and having all the enemies respawn after a certain amount of time. It rocked! Quake 2 co-op rocked too! I hope ID Software decides to add a patch at some point to incorporate co-op for the PC version.

I wonder how fast Doom 3 will run on a XBox 1 system.

I’ve had the leaked Doom 3 E3 demo (thank you ATI for “sharing”. I’m sure John Carmack was very happy) and played it on a Dual Xeon , 2 Gigs of ram and ATI vga card. It sucked.

the leaked alpha builds weren’t optimized yet for consumer computers. not to say that any old computer will be able to run it at 1600x1200 with all the details turned up, but the final build should run much more smoothly than the alpha builds. the same GamePro article mentioned that the Xbox contains a few hardware exploits not available for PC that significantly improve the game’s performance. also, a TV’s native resolution is very low compared to (most) PCs, so the Xbox hardware won’t be pushed as much as a PC.

high def tv output on the xbox (option) - right?

if they end up writing different graphics codebases to account for the differences in ati/nvidia chipsets, who knows how smooth it will end up running.

what exploits were mentioned?

all games for the Xbox so far only support 480 lines of resolution, whether it be 480i or 480p. i’m not sure if future games will support 720p or 1080i, but it seems unlikely.

the specifics of the exploits weren’t mentioned, but i doubt many readers would understand them anyway even if they did list them.

the hardware expliots in the xbox involve the onboard 64mb of memory being directly shared between the system and the video.

This allows the cpu to write directly to the video memory without having to go through the normal system bus (ie saving ALOT of transfer time on data)

hmmmm, have to look at this. sounds interesting, but messy. i thought the 64 mb of ram were just that - ram. dur me :stuck_out_tongue:

its not alot different than systems with onboard memory in which some memory is dedicated to the video. Its just that on a console system where the hardware never changes. It can utilize it in a “special” way. Rather than have to deal separate video cards and such as in desktop pc’s

Since 480p is not very high resolution (its 720x480) even using 32 bit color thats not that much in terms of memory needed for the rendering. If Xbox were forced to run at resolutions near a computer monitor. then you would see it slow down to a crawl.

Originally posted by LordOberon
iSince 480p is not very high resolution (its 720x480) even using 32 bit color thats not that much in terms of memory needed for the rendering. If Xbox were forced to run at resolutions near a computer monitor. then you would see it slow down to a crawl.

Actually, in some games, the XBOX is already getting slow. For instance Medal of honour: rise of the new worls (or so?): when driving a boat through some smoke, the fps falls down to somewhere around 2 or so…

its been too long since i’ve had to deal with low level access to the display. i think i was considering all the buffers that opengl uses, and trying to see which would end up in the video memory…