DOOM 3 Protection

What protection do you think Doom 3 will have? do you think they’ll put new Securom on it to screw us up? :bigsmile:

I doubt it.

ID Software have NEVER used copy protections in any of their games. The only anti-piracy measure they have is an online CD-KEY system.

I have:

Wolfenstein, DOOM 1, DOOM 2, QUAKE 1, QUAKE 2, QUAKE 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. None have SafeDisc / SecuROM etc.

ID is made up of smart programmers who correctly realise that media copy protection is pointless as the big pirates have a working copy available just hours after release.

Correct me if i am wrong.
But is ´nt Doom3 a singleplayer game?
I think the reason that Cd-keys have been working as only protection for Id is that you want to play online. I know there has been some key generators that have been working. But harder to get then a cracked exe.

In a single player game the Cd-key is totally worthless as an protection.

Since I am an Unreal player more than an Quaker I not an reliable source :slight_smile:

Originally posted by AtomicX
[B]I doubt it.

ID Software have NEVER used copy protections in any of their games. The only anti-piracy measure they have is an online CD-KEY system.

I have:

Wolfenstein, DOOM 1, DOOM 2, QUAKE 1, QUAKE 2, QUAKE 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. None have SafeDisc / SecuROM etc.

ID is made up of smart programmers who correctly realise that media copy protection is pointless as the big pirates have a working copy available just hours after release. [/B]

@1: Their second anti-piracy measure is their great quality, which sells like hell (including engine).

@2: Up to now, there was newer an uncopyable Protection, so maybe … (I wrote not un-crackable … cracks would be out faster than light).

NixDa

Originally posted by Escuchamezz
What protection do you think Doom 3 will have? do you think they’ll put new Securom on it to screw us up? :bigsmile:

In this case I would say: Who cares … Doom 3 will be worth every cent it will cost … I’m sure.

NixDa

PS.: But I’m also interessted, if ID changes their no-protected-games philisophy

Doom 3 is single player, but so was Quake II.

Doom 3 will no doubt be massively popular in multiplayer terms. I don’t think there is a protection available which would really suit IDs requirements. They already have a CD-KEY, so Star-Force, CD-COPS & Tages are out because they wouldn’t want to force the user to enter a second key. SafeDisc 2 is unlikely because ID have publically stated that it doesn’t work. SecuROM has massive compatability problems so I doubt ID would use that either.

As far as professional pirates are concerned, the game WILL be cracked immediately, no copy protection system will prevent this.

As far as home burners are concerned, dummy files are good enough (anyone who even knows about more advanced programs eg: CloneCD will know about no-cd cracks as well)

But, you never know…

but here are some nice pics of Doom III

Doom III pics …I got the link from fileconnect.

Minimal/lack of copy protection hasn’t driven iD out of business. JC and his posse understand this and they continue to develop excellent games anyway. I think copy protection for DooM III will be a non-issue.

@ $250,000 for the Quake 3 engine?

and even more for the Doom 3 engine when it becomes available?

ID sure aren’t stuck for sources of income.

if u do a full install of quake 3 u never need to put the cd back in the drive and u never need to enter a cdkey either.only if u play single player u do.I own the original of this game but i cant see how this is protection as i only ever play online and never enter the cdkey cause i cant be bothered if say i do a fresh install of my system

[B]Doom 3 is single player, but so was Quake II.

Doom 3 will no doubt be massively popular in multiplayer terms. I don’t think there is a protection available which would really suit IDs requirements. They already have a CD-KEY, so Star-Force, CD-COPS & Tages are out because they wouldn’t want to force the user to enter a second key. SafeDisc 2 is unlikely because ID have publically stated that it doesn’t work. SecuROM has massive compatability problems so I doubt ID would use that either.

As far as professional pirates are concerned, the game WILL be cracked immediately, no copy protection system will prevent this.
[/B]

ID have a history of making great Games, usually inclined towards multiplayer more so than single player, and none of them have had any sort of copy-protection.

Damn sure I’ll be running down to the store and buying a copy. It will be worth every red cent.

I will of course be copying it as soon as I get it, cos it’s worth every red cent, and I’d like to keep it in mint condition. :smiley:

SafeDisc 2 is unlikely because ID have publically stated that it doesn’t work. SecuROM has massive compatability problems so I doubt ID would use that either.

Safedisc 1/2 have massive compatability problems. I have 2 drives which have difficulty reading these protections in Windows XP, even from originals. They read originals OK in windows98, but copies, forget it! I hate Pioneer DVD :Z and Sony CDRW :Z !

Originally posted by UNCOGNITO
I own the original of this game but i cant see how this is protection as i only ever play online and never enter the cdkey cause i cant be bothered if say i do a fresh install of my system

That would be because after 1 year they turned the Key-servers off and didn’t bother checking keys anymore. They’d made their money.

Recently though, they have turned them back on again, coinciding with the 1.32 point release. You will need your cd-key now.

I have a Pioneer DVD and that sometimes has problems with SD2 originals.

… but that’s what DAEMON Tools is for :bigsmile:

But a drive shouldn’t have issues with copy protections, or more to the point,

Copy protections should not cause problems with drives.

True, but there are drives with problems with copy protections, wrong though it may be.

More than likely, ID might put a cd-check on DOOM 3.
They know that no matter what layer of protection that they put on it, It will not hold up. At least they realize this.

But again they could very well come up with something that might be a little hard to overcome. Their games are flagships. Look at Wolfenstein 3-d (the first one), It was the first person shooter that started it all. Then of course doom and heretic and hexen. And of course, the ever popular Quake series. I still play Quake 2 online from time to time. And Castle Wolfenstein. Ahhhh…

Anyway copy protections hold up for only short time until someone learns how to circumvent. For instance there is a cd-check built into MS combat flight simulator. (the first one). It places a registry entry to tell it to go look for the cd, Well if a person knows what to put in there, the cd-check is useless.

Whicg is what most protections are - useless.

What most people forget is that copy-protections are not meant to stop all piracy, that is impossible. What game companies are trying to do is stop the casual pirate. Those people who just buy the game and burn a copy for their friend or something. Since everybody and their mother has a cdburner now, this would be no problem. The amount of software that is stolen in this fashion is much much much greater than the number of people who download Razor 1911 or Fairlights releases and people who copy games with clonecd etc…

So basically all game companies really want/need is a cd check that can’t be copied in your average computer gamers cd-rom. Safedisc/securerom provide exactly this service today, because your average user cannot copy a game cd anymore. He would have to download Alcohol 120%, CloneCD, Discdump, Daemon Tools, CDRWIN, DiscJuggler, SafediscAnalyzer, SecureromID and a host of other apps not to mention having the right hardware to do the physical ripping/writing with just to have a chance at copying a game, casual software pirates have no idea how to do this stuff.

There will always be cracks to games, and in the future cracks will be the only way to play pirated games, and this is from the mouth of the people who are today programming the apps to steal software (Oliver etc…).

Consider it stealing or not , if copying a game for personal backup purposes , it’s best to have a genuine copy and that is what CloneCd is for.

I have huge doubts Id Software is even considering copy protection for Doom III.

Everyone knows it will be cracked (iso releases on the internet) /cirumvented (gamecopy world *.exe files) /copied(clonecd/alcohol 120%) or whatever you might call it.

What’s important is that you can’t really fake the master server of id software products (the cd key checks) , Blizzard knows this , Atari knows this and it WORKS.

Yes , you can play the single version smoothly without having your cd key checked by any master server and after you solved/ended the game it’s game over.

This solution is also not perfect ,because there are plenty of servers around that do not check for legal keys or workarounds to fake the program it has connected to the master server… WarCraft III has plenty of those tools and so does Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

Nevertheless , the effort it will take for you to patch , hex edit and cirumvent the entire thing will make you go crazy. Take a look at the NeverWinter Nights updates :slight_smile:

If the speed bump is high enough , once you will slow down.
If the speed bump is too high , you will take another route.

I have a Pioneer DVD and that sometimes has problems with SD2 originals

What model Pioneer do you have? My drive has been able to read anything and everything I could throw at it (with the exception of backups of UT2003 but that’s a whole other story hehe ;)).

[b]

If the speed bump is high enough , once you will slow down.
If the speed bump is too high , you will take another route.[/b]

I like that. So very true. :slight_smile:

You see, ID software is one of the VERY few companies… that have common sense! NO MATTER what type of security ANY cd uses, it can be broken. Its just a matter of weeks! So whats the point of spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a cd protection that will be broken within a few weeks. Some companies get it, others however (like EA) dont. Every new protection is a challenge to the hacker or copier. And they almost always meet the challenge!