I was all plum and happy and had just burned the 2nd disc of my Mame romset when on the spur of the moment I decided to do a file integrity scan, 'just to make sure'. The PIF scan of the first disk was very nice compared to my previous burns (These were my first burns after upgrading to the B7V9 firmware) but I thought 'okay, but this is more important than a backup dvd burn.' If you've ever downloaded and compiled a Mame romset then you know exactly what I mean. < You do NOT want to do it again anytime soon.
It was probably 85% finished checking the files and everything seemed okay and I figured, "of course, I've already checked everything with ClrMamePro", when BAM: Error reading 1 file. WHAT?! It amounted to about 4 files with errors in the end.
I didn't think it could be a problem with the way I burned the files as I had made an .iso image of them before the burn to DVD-R and the drive was freshly defragmented. But I tried again and got even more errors. Hmm...odd. I loaded up the image in Daemon Tools and scanned it and found the same errors that I had found on the previous 2 burns! NOOOOOOO!!!!
Imminent disk failure?!? Imminent burner failure?!? A bad batch of media?!? Does God hate me?!?
Well, in the end it turns out that my experiment with upgrading a previous romset via Bittorrenting burned me pretty bad. If I hadn't verified my files via scantesting them instead of just the usual PIF/PIO scans and had deleted everything on disk....Oh...well...lemme just say, "Hide the breakables!!'...
As it is, I'll probably have to redownload maybe half of what I've been grabbing for the past 3 or 4 weeks. It could have been worse and I probably should have processed the files incrementantly (Seeing as I don't have the space to process the entire romset) and verified they were okay before deleting the old ones. Live and learn I guess.
A long spiel that basically says, "If you have important data and non-video backups to make, be sure to do a file integrity scan before deleting your originals or perhaps even attempting a burn. Granted, this was more an error on my part and not the hardware, but still, it saved me in the end.