Don't quite understand how the copy protection works when you burn an image

I’m having problems finding or possibly understanding exactly how to get around copy protection when you burn the image.

Let’s say I recently downloaded Diablo II: Lords of Destruction expansion. It’s a securom II protection (i think). It’s in *.cue and *.bin form.
So I burn the bin with Nero, and I still have to use a crack exe to play the game.

So is getting around copy protection just so you can make the image of the file?

or is the images I get off of internet (however that may be) have to be cracked?

thanks

Nider

ISOs offered on the internet are very often *.cue and *.bin files.

When you find a CloneCD image (*.ccd *.sub *.img if I am not mistaken) you mighth not need a crack.

For other ISOs I am not sure whether a cloneCD image can be converted to a .cue/.bin file when the copy protection will be maintained

I think that when you convert a CCD image (*.ccd *.sub *.img & *.cue) the “power of CCD” will be lost. So you’ll have to use a crack again. Cause when you should convert to a bin/cue only, then where’s the sub? (no subchannel data!) Don’t even know if you can convert a ISO. :wink:

So why don’t they (the crack/release groups) release a CCD image of files instead of .cue/.bin files?

You can answer that if you can, but it’s sort of a rhetorical question.

I would guess it’s because not everyone can burn a clonecd image, I guess. I mean, it’s allready illegal to release “warez” so I don’t see why they can’t relase a ccd copy.

Also, you mention the sub channel data not being included in a *.bin file. Is sub channel data error control? I thought CDs normally have 2048 sectors, with raw being 2352 sectors, and those extras sectors were the error control data or something.

Just trying to understand all this.

thanks

Originally posted by nider
[B]So why don’t they (the crack/release groups) release a CCD image of files instead of .cue/.bin files?

You can answer that if you can, but it’s sort of a rhetorical question.

I would guess it’s because not everyone can burn a clonecd image, I guess. I mean, it’s allready illegal to release “warez” so I don’t see why they can’t relase a ccd copy.[/B]
Well there are advantages of a BIN image and there are disadvantages. The same applies for CloneCD images. A CloneCD image can hold the original protection intact but not everyone can burn these (eg. with the SafeDisc 2 protection). So the CloneCD releases would be limited to users that have a capable burner. This isn’t what these rip groups want of course. They would want eveyone to be able to play their rips. So they release a BIN file which sometimes needs to be cracked afterwards and will sometimes already have a crack on it but you need to apply it yourself… But almost everyone would be able to play them.

But these groups are getting smarter… :slight_smile: For instance: I d/led a game (Fifa 2002) which was in the CUE/BIN format, but it also came with a converter proggie to turn it into a CloneCD image! These are so-called hybrid images. I don’t know if the CloneCD image would restore the original protection though (I don’t think this was the case since the BIN file was cracked).

Okay, I think I get it now.

thanks

I just got a copy of Icewind dale (or whatever it’s called) that came in the Clone CD format. Had no problems copying it, cept the first copy errored out because I used a 650 meg instead of 700 meg cdrw. It seems to have worked fine, 'cept it’s the second disk of 2 and the first disks isn’t complete. =(

But thanks for helping me understand what’s going on.

This is no FXP board! So please don’t use it like that!
Thank you! :slight_smile: