Don't PUSH RESET BUTTON?

when i first bought my new pc the guy told me that i shouldn’t push the reset button and insted just push and hold the power button to turn the pc off then on again, he said that the reset button is simply no good for the hardware and the mobo, is this true?

so i should just use the powerbutton insted right?

thanks for helping.

I’ve never heard this before, I do both and computer has run fine for years?

I’ve hear a lot about it, but no one can tell me clerly why it is bad. So, i think, it’s just a reboot.

so which one should i choose?

in all cases where the operating system is still running stable (not freezing that is) you should reboot/shutdown using it , for restarting use start–>turn off computer–>restart , for shutdown just do a single click on the power button and release it (this will intiate shutdown from windows,like when you do it from the start menu) , using the reset button frequently while the hard drive partitions are mounted on the operating system may cause some low scale file curruption so its not recommended (unless the os freezes and theres no other choice) ,same goes for hard shutdown (holding the power button) , so in conclusion its best to do it from within the operating system whenever possible to prevent file curruption

Absolutely not true BUT you have to understand that a reset is stopping all processes. If you press reset when you are writing data to a device this might result in data loss. A real shutdown may even be more disastrous than a reset, but both have been known to cause data loss. Make sure that all reading and writing activity of any device has been sucessfully completed before acting.

The process is somewhat like this (note that this may not be the absolute truth for your system and it’s only for reference):

When a computer is started (power on) the first thing the PSU (power supply unit) does is give the specified current to the motherboard. The CPU is one of the first things to start up after your memory, hard disk drive controllers, harddisks themselves, video card, etc. The motherboard fires up the POST (Power On Self Test) and checks if everything is connected. After all the hardware checks it starts up the operating system (booting).

When you push the reset button, the motherboard gives a signal to the reset line of the CPU. No matter what state, process or function the CPU is doing, it resets. The POST starts again and voila, it’s booting the operating system again. Re-booting so to speak :slight_smile: Note that the PSU doesn’t reset and still gives power to everything. The POST however, may involve a process that re-checks the harddisks (which in result may lead to a power reset of the harddisk printing circuit board).

It’s possible to physically destroy a harddisk by resetting your CPU frequently on a special time in the checking process. The electro motors can’t handle too much stress.

Depending on your motherboard, BIOS configuration and Operating System settings, the power-on button can do several things:

• It powers on the system for the first time: See above
  • It shuts down the operating system and goes to standby mode
  • It shuts down the system and goes to hibernation mode
  • It shuts down the system for real

When you press the power button for a few seconds, you get the last method. This is a hardcoded in almost any motherboard. Whatever the operating system, CPU or other hardware is doing, it gets the power cut off. The PSU shuts down. CLICK. It’s off!

You can greatly reduce the risk of data loss or corruption by turning off disc write cache.

Partially correct. All modern disks have some disk write cache internally, so if you cut the power, you cut the internal cache as well. But the risks are indeed minimized. Unfortunately the speed improvement is also gone :slight_smile:

The reset button is always the best option. Effectively both have the same impact on the Hardware and OS (as stated above).

The reason its better?

Your PSU. Its probably the most sensitive to power interruptions. The reset button does not cause the PSU to power off which prevents spikes and destruction of the PSU - which in turn can cause damage to other sensitive devices.

Reset button is best

Switching power on & off puts high loads on the power lines as they have to charge up all the capacitors on the main board that discharge when power is removed, this causes a high inrush current that causes slight wear on both the capacitors and the PSU transistors and diodes.

During this powerup the PSU holds the “Power Good” line up and this forces the motherboard to be in a reset state (same as you holding the reset button in) until the PSU senses the correct voltages on the 12v, 5v and 3.3v lines, this stabalisation time also allows the CPU voltage regualtor on the mobo to stabalise the CPU voltage while the CPU is in a held (suspended) state.

When these votages are stable it lowers the “power good” line and allows the Mobo to post (assuming the mobo also agrees with its own voltage readings for chipset and CPU voltages), posting before this stable power time could cause errors as the voltages are not stable and can induce errors.

By pressing the reset button you bypass all the voltage checks as they have already been done for the previous running state, you also reduce wear on the components as they are not cooled and then heated by a removal and re-application of power as well as the discharge and then recharge of the capacitors.

The only time i have ever had problems with a reset button was on an old Shuttle mini PC where the PSU was running right on the limit for the items in the case and pressing the reset button caused the PSU to over-current and shut down. This was eventually fixed by replacing the PSU with a high power one once Shuttle started to use them (the original was the biggest PSU they did at the time).