Don't know how to name problem

vbimport

Here’s the problem. I purchased an XW-4400 workstation motherboard for $4.00 and was playing with the board to see what it would do. I found that though it only had a 2.4 GHz 2 core processor it would run W10 and run it as well an another board I have with a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor.

Now, no laughing please.:disagree::wink: I used the board to build me a computer for my office. But when the computer is booted, don’t know what this screen is called, the computer goes through a “checklist” that in the bottom left corner of the screen appears in a blue rectangle box “Press F1 to boot”. I press F1 and the computer boots.

I have tried every setting in BIOS that I am comfortable changing and can’t get the computer to boot without clicking the blue “Press F1 to boot” box on the screen. Could someone explain to me how to change whatever setting needs to be changed for the computer to boot without pressing F1. :o Thanks.

What’s shown in the “checklist” on the screen where you have to press F1? Try to write it all down.

Or take a picture of the whole screen, using a camera.

[QUOTE=Albert;2771774]What’s shown in the “checklist” on the screen where you have to press F1? Try to write it all down.

Or take a picture of the whole screen, using a camera.[/QUOTE]

Here it is:

918- Front USB not connected
917- Front Audio not connected
512- Chassis fan not connected

HP Ethernet Boot Agent V9.4.5
Copyright© 2000, 2006 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
All right reserved
Intel®Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v5.6.2.1002ICH7R wRaids
Copyright©2003-2006 Intel Corporation All rights reserved

F1: BOOT Hewlett-Packard HP xw4400Workstation
<F9=Boot Menu><F10-Setup><F12=Nework

If your chassis has no USB or audio ports on the front, you’ll probably want to short a few pins on the respective connectors (which will make the board think the proper connection has been made).
For the audio, this thread on the HP forums mentions which pins to short/ground: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Wireless-and-Networking/wanted-to-disable-F1-boot-plz-help/td-p/88510/page/2

Other forums/sites list similar methods (though I’m not sure there’s a picture to help you out; you may have to look at the board and figure out which pins are which yourself. Though HP may have technical documents available)…

http://adam-carter.com/posts/93

Apparently there is no software setting to bypass this, as it was implemented by HP to prematurely diagnose problems that could have occurred during shipping &etc.

[QUOTE=Albert;2771782]If your chassis has no USB or audio ports on the front, you’ll probably want to short a few pins on the respective connectors (which will make the board think the proper connection has been made).
For the audio, this thread on the HP forums mentions which pins to short/ground: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Wireless-and-Networking/wanted-to-disable-F1-boot-plz-help/td-p/88510/page/2

Other forums/sites list similar methods (though I’m not sure there’s a picture to help you out; you may have to look at the board and figure out which pins are which yourself. Though HP may have technical documents available)…

http://adam-carter.com/posts/93

Apparently there is no software setting to bypass this, as it was implemented by HP to prematurely diagnose problems that could have occurred during shipping &etc.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is only two things about this board that is bad. One, it only has USB 1.1 and the USB header doesn’t work. I bought a USB 2 card with a USB header that the front USB ports are connected to. Probably why it says the USB is not connected. Haven’t yet connected the front audio ports and I never use them and haven’t taken the time to make a cable to connect the case harness to the board.

Oh, well, no problem, just a bit of annoyance to have to press F1 every time, but will have to do so.

But, after all, I only paid $4.00 for the board and it does work great. Thanks.