Don't ban, but hellban

vbimport

Perhaps a useful tip for the forum:

I got this idea from this website.

Banning a user locks down a user’s account and/or ip address. The user gets notified he’s banned and may try another method of getting access.

An hellban is when a user still has access to the system, but the system totally ignores him. He can make posts, but nobody sees them. He thinks he can use all the functionality, but nothing happens. Basically all his actions are totally useless eventually leading to him leaving forever, because nobody responds. He doesn’t even know he’s hellbanned.

A hellbanned user is invisible to all other users, but crucially, not himself. From their perspective, they are participating normally in the community but nobody ever responds to them. They can no longer disrupt the community because they are effectively a ghost. It’s a clever way of enforcing the “don’t feed the troll” rule in the community. When nothing they post ever gets a response, a hellbanned user is likely to get bored or frustrated and leave.

I’m not sure vbulletin offers this kind of feature, but maybe if does it might mean less work for moderators and far more effective. The psychological impact of someone who finds out they’ve been hellbanned may be a lot worse though.

There are also other forms of banning.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2678462]Perhaps a useful tip for the forum:

I got this idea from this website.

Banning a user locks down a user’s account and/or ip address. The user gets notified he’s banned and may try another method of getting access.

An hellban is when a user still has access to the system, but the system totally ignores him. He can make posts, but nobody sees them. He thinks he can use all the functionality, but nothing happens. Basically all his actions are totally useless eventually leading to him leaving forever, because nobody responds. He doesn’t even know he’s hellbanned.

I’m not sure vbulletin offers this kind of feature, but maybe if does it might mean less work for moderators and far more effective.

There are also other forms of banning.[/QUOTE] We have had that for years. Its called " Tachy Goes to [B]Coventry[/B]". And yes Vbulletin has it. Google it. Its also called a [B]Global Ignore[/B].:flower:

I wondered why no one talks to me around here. :sad:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2678464]We have had that for years. Its called " Tachy Goes to [B]Coventry[/B]". And yes Vbulletin has it. Google it. Its also called a [B]Global Ignore[/B].:flower:[/QUOTE]Nice! Ever implemented it?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2678480]I wondered why no one talks to me around here. :sad:[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about responding to that but… :bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2678482]Nice! Ever implemented it?[/QUOTE]

Are you volunteering, LOL? :bigsmile:

But seriously though, there are problems with all of those alternative methods and it’s not something that we normally use.

Banning is something we do as a last resort and really it’s the end of the line by the time it reaches that stage.

If all else fails and someone deserves banning then personally speaking I’d rather just do it and get the message across.

TBH there are very few bans here other than spammers and in general they usually get all their posts deleted but not always.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I do not think we ever implemented it, but there is always a first time LOL. :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2678482]Nice! Ever implemented it?[/QUOTE]

I think it’s been used on one occasion (Liggy would know more). :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2678480]I wondered why no one talks to me around here. :sad:[/QUOTE]

Did someone say something? :confused: :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2678546]I think it’s been used on one occasion ([B]Liggy[/B] would know more). :slight_smile:

Did someone say something? :confused: :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Hi Lin, remember back in 2006 we had a guy that just wouldn’t give up he kept re joining everytime we banned him and posting got worse and worse. We had a name for him but I forget it. I think we used it then, but I cant remember another time, but I am not privy to what you all do. LOL. :flower:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2678553]Hi Lin, remember back in 2006 we had a guy that just wouldn’t give up he kept re joining everytime we banned him and posting got worse and worse. We had a name for him but I forget it. I think we used it then, but I cant remember another time, but I am not privy to what you all do. LOL. :flower:[/QUOTE]

That’s the one I was thinking of :wink:

I just checked the admin panel and currently no single user is configured “Tachy goes to coventry”

Gee - my Kerry Voodoo doll has lotsa pin-holes in it. Doesn’t that count?!! Uh… don’t tell me you feel NOTHING?!! Sheesh - NOW who’s paranoid about being ignored?!!

:bow::bow:

Of course, it would be nice if our forum users didn’t drive off first-time posters with rude, condescending tones. Save that for us experienced folks!

Is this really a problem? :rolleyes:

vB is php coding (afaicr) and you don´t need to be a rocket scients to hack it… :flower:

(BTW. Please chill down on bans. Soon there will no members to ban at all if we go on this path.)

Hellban sounds awesome.

Methinks hellbanning spammers works on so many levels …

They’ve been hell-banned, they keep posting at this forum, completely unaware that they’ve been hell banned … and it chews up alot more of their time, before after a few days, they realise that everyone is ignoring them …

… I’d consider it a public service …

Hahahaha :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2678553]Hi Lin, remember back in 2006 we had a guy that just wouldn’t give up he kept re joining everytime we banned him and posting got worse and worse. We had a name for him but I forget it. I think we used it then, but I cant remember another time, but I am not privy to what you all do. LOL. :flower:[/QUOTE]

I think that guys was a teenager, making hundreds of postsmdaily. His original nick jere was Ben246, if remember correctly. Tax had to warn him each day. But ot was loooong ago.

[QUOTE=Illuminatus;2688735]I think that guys was a teenager, making hundreds of postsmdaily. His original nick jere was Ben246, if remember correctly. Tax had to warn him each day. But ot was loooong ago.[/QUOTE]

Bops his secretary for the mistakes in the previous post. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Illuminatus;2688735]I think that guys was a teenager, making hundreds of postsmdaily. His original nick jere was Ben246, if remember correctly. Tax had to warn him each day. But ot was loooong ago.[/QUOTE]

I have to correct myself, aka Illuminatus. The guys nick was Bcn246, aka Ben.

On another forum, they have a “Miserable User” group - putting someone on that subjects them to a configurable level of mishap - though unless the levels are set to complete fail, they are not quite banned, but things just break so often for them that hopefully they buzz off

We once had that group too, but removed it again as the functionality has been disabled quite a while ago.

[QUOTE=Matth;2688866]On another forum, they have a “Miserable User” group - putting someone on that subjects them to a configurable level of mishap - though unless the levels are set to complete fail, they are not quite banned, but things just break so often for them that hopefully they buzz off[/QUOTE]

Heh, I’d seen the user group and always wondered what it did.

Sounds quite evil. :bigsmile: