Dollars and Pounds

vbimport

Am I the only one who has noticed a great difference between buying the same product in the States as against the UK. I should clarify that I’m in the UK. Anyway, when I’m looking to buy something, say a hard drive for instance, I get one price in the UK, but in the US, using a conversion system, the same product is invariably, considerably, cheaper.
I haven’t looked at shipping costs etc, and I don’t know if it would incur import tax, but it is beginning to get really tempting to try.
Is the dollar falling because of the events there, and is this creating a “silver lining” in this area?
Cheers Gray

Try to check prices in Italy… for example comparing the same products sold at amazon UK and amazon IT :doh:

I’ve always found things to be cheaper in the US. Even without the current economic goings-on across the pond.

I always thought it was 'cos our prices are generally high here in Blighty anyway :wink:

Welcome to the forum BTW, from another Brit :flower:

EDIT: @Geno - is stuff more expensive in Italy than here, then?

Different VAT rates?

Hmmm…do they even have VAT in the US? Genuine question, I’ve no idea. :slight_smile:

Isn’t that what they name sales tax?

But are you still winning after the postage/shipping etc?

The reason we pay higher in the UK is because the price is determined by whatever they think they can get away charging in a particular country, rather than what they should reasonably be selling it for.

I remember years ago I used to renew my Norton AV subscription from the US site as it was considerably cheaper than the UK one.

I can’t remember the exact prices but I think it was about £15 here and $13 on the US website and that’s at the time when there were nearly two Dollars to the Pound.

Then Symantec blocked this so that UK users had to renew subscriptions from the UK site.

TBH I can’t really think of a better example of blatant profiteering as the cost of providing a renewed serial number online is the same regardless of where the customer is based.

[B]Wombler[/B]

For hardware I can see perhaps why it is dearer here than in the US.
The US market is very much larger and there appears to be properly competitive company’s.
There are also problems in the US concerning different sales Tax across the continent but still generally what the US pays in Dollars here in the UK we pay Pounds and then some.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2601685]Hmmm…do they even have VAT in the US? Genuine question, I’ve no idea. :)[/QUOTE]

The U.S. does not have VAT.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2601737]The U.S. does not have VAT.[/QUOTE]

Cheers Jamerson :slight_smile:

@Wombler - nice post, sums it up very nicely. :iagree:

EDIT: @GrayUK - was a long time ago now, but I think it still wound up much cheaper even with P+P.

I have an example (in these days I’m searching for a headset) :slight_smile:

amazon . IT

amazon . UK

According to google, UK£ 16.99 = 19.2960468 Euros

The main problem about purchasing at amazon .UK is that very often there is no shipping to Italy :doh:

[QUOTE=geno888;2601800]I have an example (in these days I’m searching for a headset) :slight_smile:

amazon . IT

amazon . UK

According to google, UK£ 16.99 = 19.2960468 Euros

The main problem about purchasing at amazon .UK is that very often there is no shipping to Italy :doh:[/QUOTE]

Ahh, I’m hopeless with Euros->Pounds and vice-versa.

Conversions are made automatically by amazon (and I can check with google if needed), but the really annoying thing is the big price difference :doh:

O.K. Done some looking.
I just got myself a Seagate 500gig Momentus XT from Ebuyer for around £80.
On Amazon Italy = £102.64p.
On Amazon UK = £93.61p
On Amazon US = £61.00p. However, they have started to with-hold sales for an undisclosed reason. I think the price might have a lot to do with it! If not, God you guys get stuff cheap over there!!

I can get 2T hard drives for around $60-$70 USD with free shipping here in the USA. It is a result of more competition and lower taxes.

In these days the [B][U]parasites[/U][/B] (i.e. politicians) are discussing about increasing VAT here in Italy :Z:Z:Z:Z:Z

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2601737]The U.S. does not have VAT.[/QUOTE]
Or nation health care - I thought that is mostly what the UK VAT pays for.

[QUOTE=cobo;2601930]Or nation health care - I thought that is mostly what the UK VAT pays for.[/QUOTE]

The National Health Service is in theory funded by National Insurance Contributions which are deducted from salaries in addition to Income Tax.

The government seems to have other things to spend it on these days so the NHS is funded by other methods as well.

Like many things here in the UK, VAT goes into a general fund that the government use for anything they want.

[B]Wombler[/B]

OH, we really are going off subject LOL. I’m dragging up my “soap box” even as I read this. For the benefit of our Colonial brothers, it means I’m getting ready to throw myself into the political subject with a vengeance, no, I’ll leave the box where it is for now. Anyway, I will seriously consider buying from the states next time, (taking their voltage into consideration), and see what happens.