Dolby Volume to Debut on New Toshiba HDTVs

[B]Intelligent Audio-Processing Technology That Delivers Consistent
Volume Levels From Various Audio Sources to Be Available Next Month in
Japan

SAN FRANCISCO, Apr 30, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) – Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE : DLB) today highlighted the first market availability of its unique Dolby® Volume audio-processing technology on Toshiba’s new REGZA ZH500 and ZV500 series LCD HDTVs launching in Japan next month. [/B]

Link: http://investor.dolby.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=307363

:cool::cool:

This isn’t anything new. It’s often called “adaptive dynamic range compression” and various similar things. Many, if not most, AVRs have similar gimmicks. Of course it’s not something you want to be using if you’re serious about audio quality, but then if you’re listening to TV speakers, you’re not.

[QUOTE=CDan;2048471]but then if you’re listening to TV speakers, you’re not.[/QUOTE]:bigsmile: cough, sorry i had to chuckle…

It’s about volume stabilization, and you have to be generalized. Think about the average joe.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2048480]It’s about volume stabilization, and you have to be generalized. Think about the average joe.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]
True…

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2048480]It’s about volume stabilization, and you have to be generalized. Think about the average joe.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

And here all this time I though this was what the volume control was for. :rolleyes:

So you don’t think the average consumer will enjoy a consistent volume instead of fluxations between programing and commericals? :rolleyes:

Especially if it works.

This is off my TV manual and it’s not a Toshiba. Is it not pretty much the same thing?

[B]Automatic Volume Control [/B]

Reduces the differences in volume level among broadcasters.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/200708/20070813174556531/EN/5_sub.htm

Yes most T.V.'s do have a similar feature, But have you actually seen one work?

Does yours work?

Dolby claims that this actually works.

I sure tell you that it doesn’t work on my T.V.

To be honest no I have never tried it on my set. But it is annoying when commericals come on at 5 times the volume.

According to Dolby:

[B]How does Dolby Volume work?[/B]

Dolby Volume measures, analyzes, and maintains volume levels based on how people perceive sound. It examines a variety of audio parameters to maintain consistent playback levels whether switching between channels or between multiple source inputs. A sophisticated combination of spectral- and time-based loudness analysis enables it to quickly and properly correct level differences without creating compression artifacts or undesirable pumping in the audio signal.

In addition, Dolby Volume properly balances low, middle, and high frequencies to maintain all the nuances and impact of the program material regardless of playback volume levels. At both high and low volume levels, it guarantees a listening experience that includes all the dynamics and timbre of the original mix.

[B]Does Dolby Volume introduce artifacts?[/B]

No: unlike previous volume management solutions, Dolby Volume does not introduce audible artifacts or side effects. Quiet background sounds, for example, do not pump up and down between stretches of dialogue, as happens with conventional compression technologies. Content sounds natural and properly balanced even as the playback level remains constant across widely varying program sources.

[B]How is Dolby Volume different from conventional AGC or audio compressor technologies?[/B]

Typical automatic gain controls (AGCs) or audio compressor technologies monitor an audio signal’s amplitude level and not its loudness. To properly solve the reference level playback and loudness level inconsistencies issues, the audio must ideally be monitored and processed in the perceptual loudness domain. In addition, AGC and compressor technologies do not have the same sophisticated cognitive model that Dolby Volume has. Also, typical AGC and audio compressor technologies use a single or small number of audio bands, which are dramatically fewer than the number of perceptual audio bands in human hearing. Because they use crude processing techniques, solutions prior to Dolby Volume can introduce extremely audible and annoying artifacts (such as pumping and breathing).