Doggy bags - do you ask for one?

vbimport

I was reading an article earlier, about asking for doggy bags in diners/restaurants…and what with the economy these days, and supersizing of portions served*, I wondered…would you ask to take the rest of your meal home with you if you hadn’t finished it?

Here in Britain I think we’re still a bit reserved or embarrassed about asking. Although it seems to be more “acceptable” than before.

Since we’re an international site, I’d be interested to hear your views. :slight_smile:

• Unless you go to a really posh place. Then you’re lucky if you get two mouthfuls of food for your main. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would if I ever had anything left. I’m usually a clean the plate eater.
I’ve probably only ask a couple of times over several years.

Have you ever noticed in TV shows the doggie bag is an aluminum foil swan ?
I’ve never got one of those .

LOL yeah me too - maybe comes from always being told to finish it all up as a kid (we weren’t the most well-off, just me and my mum). :slight_smile:

Unfortunately not too good for the waistline hehe. Guess I got away with it 'cos, as most kids do, I ran around a lot :wink:

An aluminium foil swan?! That’s posh, never seen one of those :eek:

I usually clean my plate also, the wife & daughter always gets a doggie bag to take home.

With the size of portions these days, my sister and mother always seem to get a takeout box for the leftover half of their meal. I don’t often have enough to mess with.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2606519]I was reading an article earlier, about asking for doggy bags in diners/restaurants…and what with the economy these days, and supersizing of portions served*, I wondered…would you ask to take the rest of your meal home with you if you hadn’t finished it?

Here in Britain I think we’re still a bit reserved or embarrassed about asking. Although it seems to be more “acceptable” than before.

Since we’re an international site, I’d be interested to hear your views. :slight_smile:

• Unless you go to a really posh place. Then you’re lucky if you get two mouthfuls of food for your main. :p[/QUOTE]

I tend not to order something I think I mightn’t finish.

If I’m not that hungry I’ll skip the starter and just have the main course.

If I’m full after the main course I won’t have dessert.

I suppose I’m pretty disciplined that way even though I do really love my food.

I don’t think it’s as bad here in the UK as it is in America though as the portions there are enormous.

Heh heh… that reminds me of a story when we went to the Ponderosa Steak House the first time we were in America.

For those that aren’t familar with it it’s an all you can eat buffet.

Anyway my wife and I had had a plateful of chicken wings salad and other tasty nibblers, then finished our main courses and we both had what I would class as a large steak and chips (french fries) dinner.

Both of us were full and when the waitress came over she told us about the desserts.

I said to her ‘No thanks, actually we’re both pretty full’.

She looked at me in shock, as if I’d three heads, and said ‘Are you guys not having DESSERT?!!!’

Her reaction was so noticeable it was genuinely as if no one had ever said that to her before in her entire life and I couldn’t help thinking ‘Wow is it really that rare that the people that come there don’t eat massive meals?’

I don’t know the answer to that question BTW but having seen the sizes of the helpings in most US restaurants I couldn’t help wondering if that was true.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Heck sometimes we order big portions just to get two dinners out of it.And don’t mine paying a little extra because we get two meals out of it.Of course it would have to be something good knowing your gonna being eating it later.

[QUOTE=marloyd;2606547]Heck sometimes we order big portions just to get two dinners out of it.And don’t mine paying a little extra because we get two meals out of it.Of course it would have to be something good knowing your gonna being eating it later.[/QUOTE]

That’s actually something we do quite frequently with take away Chinese as the helpings in Chinese restaurants here are usually very large.

Oh and pizza as well.

My wife and I will split a larger pizza if we both want the same type as it’s cheaper than two smaller ones. :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Her reaction was so noticeable it was genuinely as if no one had ever said that to her before in her entire life and I couldn’t help thinking ‘Wow is it really that rare that the people that come there don’t eat massive meals?’

I don’t know the answer to that question BTW but having seen the sizes of the helpings in most US restaurants I couldn’t help wondering if that was true.

That pretty much sums it up Wombler

[QUOTE=Arachne;2606527]An aluminium foil swan?! That’s posh, never seen one of those :eek:[/QUOTE]

LOL@ the steakhouse dessert thing, Wombler :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=marloyd;2606547]Heck sometimes we order big portions just to get two dinners out of it.And don’t mine paying a little extra because we get two meals out of it.Of course it would have to be something good knowing your gonna being eating it later.[/QUOTE]

You know, Wombler’s mentioning the all-you-can-eat buffet made me think - I wonder if anyone goes and like, fills up [a doggy bag] with meals for the week? :bigsmile:

I hear ya about the possibility of getting 2 dinners out of it, though - great way to save money, and if the meal’s especially tasty, you get to eat it again :wink:

@Cholla - ohhhh, I see! That’s well posh, can imagine that in some really swanky place :slight_smile:

I never finish a meal at a restaurant. Ever. I barely make a dent in my plate. (About 4/5 of the entrée remains). People with whom I eat frequently actually notice this (as well as the fact that I eat at a snail’s pace).

So doggy bags are a must for me, in order to not waste money.

When I go out for a meal, I’ve no problem eating everything on the plate, although I am conservative about what I order. For example, I generally don’t ask for extra helpings or side orders of vegetables, rice, etc.

When my parents do their weekend shopping and stop somewhere to eat, they buy a meal for one and ask for another plate so they can split the meal. This overcomes the issue with too much food and so far pretty much every place they have been to had no problem with this. However, when it comes to posh restaurants, they would order a meal each and take home the leftovers.

One Chinese restaurant I’ve been to with my brother and his wife even had an unusual offer of buy a meal for x and get 1 main course free. We asked if we could take this extra main course home and they had no problem with this. This worked out well as we ended up with left overs due to the size of our portions along with this extra meal, enough to gave us all another meal at home the next day. :slight_smile:

@Albert - glad I’m not the only slow eater! :slight_smile:

Yep, same here. :iagree:

One Chinese restaurant I’ve been to with my brother and his wife even had an unusual offer of buy a meal for x and get 1 main course free. We asked if we could take this extra main course home and they had no problem with this. This worked out well as we ended up with left overs due to the size of our portions along with this extra meal, enough to gave us all another meal at home the next day. :slight_smile:

Hehe, someone said something along those lines in the article I read (well, in the comments following it). Wasn’t you, was it? LOL :slight_smile:

Our fave doggie bag is to go to the Sizzler, order a steak and salad bar, fill up on salads and chicken wings and bring the steak and potatoes home, untouched…

It’s not custom to ask for around here in NL, but once i did, because the food was incredibly good and i was very sad i could only eat half of it. They happily offered me to pack the rest so i could eat some of it the next day at home.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2606571]You know, [B]Wombler[/B]'s mentioning the all-you-can-eat buffet made me think - I wonder if anyone goes and like, fills up [a doggy bag] with meals for the week? :bigsmile: [/QUOTE]
At the all you can eat resturants most have a no food taken out policy.
Sizzler that olyteddy posted is somewhat of an exception. In that the salad bar is all you can eat & included with the steak dinner . If I remember correctly the salad bar is optional & you pay extra if you want it. We no longer have a Sizzler here. Since you pay for the steak & baked potato portion they let you yake it out in a doggie bag. I’m sure if you started loading up a doggie bag from the salad bar they would stop you.
One time when in Las Vegas at one of their famous all you can eat buffets I got to talking to a local eating there. He said about once a week he would carry a sport bag with him like a tourist. Inside would be food storage bags & he would load up. He didn’t know what would happen if he got caught as he had never been caught.

Heck yeah . . . if we don’t eat it all we take it home. That’s often my lunch the next day. Some local restaurants even give us extra chips, salsa and tortillas to take home upon request.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2606590]Our fave doggie bag is to go to the Sizzler, order a steak and salad bar, fill up on salads and chicken wings and bring the steak and potatoes home, untouched…[/QUOTE]

LOL, and I thought I was being thrifty! :bigsmile:

Nice one! :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

We have two or three places where we get all you can eat .two are Chinese ,and the other is an India restaurant and than we have a half dozen other places we go ,there’s a mex place where the nacho is huge and the burrio you can’t eat it all and the restaurant expects you to take it home .Anther place serves huge meals and throws a handful or two of candies in the bag.They know you’ll be back.And I wonder wihy I got to buy a bigger belt.