Does Windows 7 'manage things better' than XP?

vbimport

This is a Vista capable machine - 1.8GHz core 2 Dual processsor, 2GB DDR2 RAM, so I assume it is also 7 capable. I prefer XP over 7 as I know where everything is and 7 doesn’t have anything that I want.

BUT… so often I get my PC slowing down, saying that 70% or so is ‘system idle process’ - I put this down to poor CPU management by the OS, so in that respect is 7 a better bet?

70% idle process means, 30% of the CPU is working at the moment. What is the problem?

The slowdowns you mentioned may have other reasons.

Michael

The problem is that 70% is doing nothing but applications are still hanging, Media Player Classic stops responding etc.

Therefore, the CPU is not making the best of itself.

[QUOTE=SG;2572615]This is a Vista capable machine - 1.8GHz core 2 Dual processsor, 2GB DDR2 RAM, so I assume it is also 7 capable. I prefer XP over 7 as I know where everything is and 7 doesn’t have anything that I want.

BUT… so often I get my PC slowing down, saying that 70% or so is ‘system idle process’ - I put this down to poor CPU management by the OS, so in that respect is 7 a better bet?[/QUOTE]

Can you be more specific as to the motherboard and CPU and what your hardware setup is? What is doing the 70%? You didn’t tell us that part? I have installed W7 on XP and Vista machine without much problem what you need to do is have enough HDD and more ram then 2G but that will depend on with O/S of 7 your using x86 or x64?? XP is getting old and 7 does alot better in power management especially in laptops. So unless you have updates all your7 updates there could be some kinda O/S updating issues as well. The only time I see slow down on my W7ultX64 desktop is when I run x64 and x86 multiple programs then I see slow down and sometime - Not Repsonding - boxes. Otherwise a reboot helps to clean up the memory and help with computer responses.

Maybe post a screenshot of the taskmanager with all services and threads running, so we can guess.

Sounds to me that SG is currently running XP and finds his CPU is 70% idle but some programs are still struggling. Wants to know why the CPU isn’t at 100% before programs start struggling. Wants to know if using Windows 7 will improve this or not.

My thought is it has more to do with how software is written than it does with how fast the CPU is or what OS is being used (to some degree). I write code and I often find that my software seems very slow and sluggish even though it’s barely using the CPU. Just means I don’t know how to write effecient software.

R

Thanks guys, as I had to do a clean install, I opted to try 7 anyway. So far it’s worked like an absolute charm - I didn’t think that XP’s simplicity could be beaten - especially the mess that was Vista.

I have replaced all XP installs with windows 7 in our house. Everyone loves it and, IMO, 7 is better than XP in just about every way. Also, 2gb of RAM is plenty to run 7 effectively. Heck, I have it installed on an old Pentium M laptop and it runs great with 2gb of RAM.