Does VeloSSD support "users folder" located in another partition/hdd?

Hi,

Does VeloSSD support “users folder” located in another partition/hdd (via windows sysprep.exe relocated during win8 installation)?

I can’t seem to make velossd work when my users folder is located in another partition. Velossd doesn’t appear in device manager and I’m not able to launch application.

Lenovo Y580
BIOS-5DCN40WW
Intel i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX660M 2GB
HDD caddy 1TB (occupying odd bay), win8boot/OS on drive C, Users folder in drive D, UEFI-GPT format

I’ve tried using GPT and MBR format for my Sandisk Extreme SSD 120GB. This way I’m able to quickly backup my boot partition with less than 40GB of file system space. I encounter a lot of issues using symbolic links.

thanks

Hi ruangel,

I’ve copied your post to the specific velossd forum where it should get the right attention.

Regds, JR

Thanks for your input.
googling for: sysprep user folder relocate
is that what you mean ?
I put this in our work queue, and will come back when resolved.

Here is what i did:
install win8 in vm with a 2nd volume.
followed this excellent tut to relocate users dirs to E:

installed velossd
created cache for c: and ssd on e:
happy

Generally it is not a good idea to relocate Users folder.
At least you will have problems with repair install. I presume other things may get broken.

I will have to second what romanshein wrote above me here. There are several ways to accomplish relocating the User folder, but many of them involves editing the registry manually, and we don’t want that if it can be avoided. If you must have it located on a different partition I suggest you try symlinking it.

Here is a method that I have found to work well with Windows 7:

I will not vouch for its reliability on Windows 8, though. Just so you know that you have been warned and, if you choose to proceed, you would proceed on your own risk.

Kind regards,

I have had symlinked Users folder to different partition. I had to revert it back to normal in order to perform a repair install (aka “in-place upgrade”).
I hadn’t tested this setup for a long time. Presumably moving Users will cause other issues.

Yes, I agree. That’s why I said I second your previous post. But, as I figured that either the OP or some other reader of this thread may already be determined to go forth with their plans to do this, I thought it was best to present a somewhat decent method for it. Now they are properly warned about it not being an optimal solution in the end.

Kind regards,

[QUOTE=EliteBytes;2702814]Here is what i did:
install win8 in vm with a 2nd volume.
followed this excellent tut to relocate users dirs to E:

installed velossd
created cache for c: and ssd on e:
happy[/QUOTE]

Dear EliteBytes Support,

Just want to clarify your testing:

• drive c (win8) on HDD 1st partition
  • drive d (users folder via sysprep) on HDD 2nd partition
  • VeloSSD successfully installed and caching drive c

Thanks

Correct. To further clarify and define some practical scenarios
i wrote this:

Scenario A:
Boot Volume on C: on a small SSD.
Therefore i want to relocate folders to a Volume D: on a 2nd. SSD.
( I don´t use VeloSSD because i don´t want to cache. )

Scenario B:
Boot Volume on C: on a small HDD.
Continue like Scenario A.

Scenario C:
Like Scenarios A and B but i relocate folders to one big HDD (1-4TB)
or an even bigger dynamic volume (<=128TB).
Then i want to cache Boot Volume on C: and/or the relocated folders (D:) with 1 SSD Volume E:
This works and makes probably most sense, because:
-no need to reinstall
-boot volume and the big volume with relocated folders are high speed now (VeloSD).
-low cost / big gain.

To be continued with screenshots showing Scenario C:

Thank you so much for that detailed explanation.

I’ve tried the relocated folders in both win7/8 and it didn’t work for me. Normal installation in win7/8 works so I guess my notebook is the problem. I’ve tested and now considering to just change default user folders if I want to use my ssd as cache (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html).

I’m perfectly comfortable with a fast boot ssd and my users\windowstemp\logs folders and pagefile relocated to HDD to reduce writes on SSD. You can’t relocate ProgramData unless you don’t use Windows Store. I never had a need to use system repair because I prefer other means to fix problems on my notebook. I can restore my OS within 30mins. My users folder is around 350GB.

Thanks, again, EliteBytes support for correctly understanding my inquiry and providing just the info I need! you’ve been a great help!

Lenovo Y580
BIOS-5DCN40WW
Intel i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX660M 2GB
Win8boot/OS on Sandisk Extreme SSD 120GB, UEFI-GPT format
Users folder relocated to HDD caddy 1TB (occupying odd bay), MBR format