Does using integrated video/sound on your motherboard slow it down?

vbimport

Quick question: Should I buy a separate video & sound card if it does slow it down, or does it have no effect because they are separate components on a similar part? (Like how playing the radio in a car won’t slow it down although it is the same “part”)

Usually not , because the sound card and the vga card both have their own IRQ (Interrupt ReQuest) , but there are chipsets that are more CPU hungry than others.

RealTek , the mostly used onboard soundcard , is indeed a little more CPU hungry than a standard PCI soundcard.

Integrated capabilities are far cheaper than purchasing seperate products , but you can never replace them.

I’ve got a MSI K7N2 motherboard which comes with on-board network interface and sound (Nforce2 Realtek soundchip), but i’ve disabled the on board sound (i have LOTS of problems with it and it sounded horrible when the CPU was busy). I got me a Philips Dolby 5.1 soundcard with the most easy software i’ve ever seen. No problems at all.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
I’ve got a MSI K7N2 motherboard which comes with on-board network interface and sound (Nforce2 Realtek soundchip), but i’ve disabled the on board sound (i have LOTS of problems with it and it sounded horrible when the CPU was busy). I got me a Philips Dolby 5.1 soundcard with the most easy software i’ve ever seen. No problems at all.

Strange, the NVidia Soundstorm should work perfect. I recently sold my SB Audigy player and I’m using my onboard Soundstorm now, sounds way better than the SB Audigy (no more crackling noises etc). Could it be that your PSU can’t handle the energy the mainboard consumes?

One thing about onboard video: it could be that onboard video asks for specific memory. In my case, my onboard video (NForce2 IGP, GF420MX-alike), can only work with memory up to PC2700 speeds; PC3200 memory doesn’t work with it.
So if you want to use an onboard VGA card (not so good for gaming btw), be sure to check out if there are limitations to using it…

Any onboard video, sound takes processor power to run.
Always better to have separate cards to perform those functions.
Boards that have onboard are usually far cheaper, there is a good reason for that - poorer performance.

I find little or no diff unless you are a musician with a trained ear or blast music to very high capacity where of course some hissing and crackling can be heard. However, this will happen with either integrated or an add on card when at full blast. The only time an add on card (ie: audigy series) will hiss or such is if too close to other boards or a fan which cause a magnetic field or other interference. However, add on cards are usually superior in sound from my experience, and can go higher in Db before hiss or crackle occurs.