Does this reduce "blockiness"?

vbimport

After DVD2One finishes compressing. I was just wondering whether burning DVDs at 1x would reduce video artifacts. Feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

In a word? No. The blockiness you see is part of the compression process whenever MPEG2 is used. With a high enough of a bitrate, you really don’t notice it – which is why store-bought DVDs work so well (with a DVD9, you have more room for a large movie file, thus you’re able to use a high bitrate). Since DVD2ONE seems to work by lowering the bitrate without re-encoding, some of the larger movies out there are going to start looking a bit (or a lot) blocky. If you’re noticing a lot of pixelation (which is what this is refered to as) in your copies – and you’re making straight 1:1 copies – then try using the “Movie Only” option, which will free up the disk’s entire storage capacity for giving you the best possible picture in your main movie. Sure, you lose your extras… but the movie, itself, is what you really want in tip-top shape, right?

Anyway, while burning with a lower speed, you WILL help to avoid buffer problems. But the pixelation problems are due to the compression of the movie – not the burning method or media per se.

Rene’s mentioned – elsewhere in these posts – that the compression engine of DVD2ONE has the potential for improvement (and is working on it), but when you consider that you’re basically forcing the content of a 8 - 9 Gig movie onto a 4.7 Gig disk… using the same compression standard, but at a lower bitrate… using the original encoder’s motion detection…

The image is going to take a hit. Plus, the more stuff you keep out of the original stream, the worse the image will look, since the image is the only thing that DVD2ONE compresses. So look into stripping out any unnesessary streams when making your copies to avoid this. (DTS files are HUGE, guys! And keeping both the 5.1 and stereo tracks is kind of redundant, since 5.1 BECOMES a stereo stream without a reciever.)

Hope this helps ya!

I beg to differ :slight_smile:
While everything you said is correct, there’s also the matter of low-quality DVD-R mediums. Those can result in read-errors at playback which, depending on the quality of your player, may cause more or less blockiness. Or even stutters or a full stop in case of a firmware crash.

So, if you see no blockiness when playing the files directly from the harddisk, while your standalone has problems playing the burnt DVD, it’s the medium’s fault (or your burning software is crap).

Burning with a lower speed helps in many cases as that doesn’t stress the tolerances as much.

Try the DVDSpeed test app from Nero or “CDVD Bänschmark” at http://www.cd-bremse.de/ . If you see massive drops in the graphs, it’s probably due to faults in the DVD-R medium.

HTH

@lichtgestalt

I certainly have to agree with the point you made about different standalone players displaying differing amounts of pixelation, considering that – of the three units I’ve owned – none of those displayed exactly the same qaulity of image among one another. In fact, my Phillips standalone pixelates EVERYTHING (and, to add insult to injury, chops the ends off of music tracks on CDs). So, yeah, it’s possible that PCDANO’s problem resides in the player that he uses. Good call!

I’ve no arguement, either, with the idea of different media yeilding different results – bad media’s bad media! Choppy playback, incomplete playback, strange navigational problems… name it. This effect could even be seen on good media with a bad burning program (buffer underrun, which is known to cause blank spaces in certain CDs and cause playback problems with DVDs) – as you pointed out. If this was the problem, then sure: Recording at a slower speed just may give enough of an edge to overcome it, unless the recorder simply can’t make good media out of bad. But PCDANNO didn’t mention such problems.

Since PCDANNO was asking about reducing artifacts, I made the assumption (we all know the saying behind making assumptions!) that he was trying to reduce the pixellation of a DVD2ONE-encoded stream by burning that same stream at a lower speed. Which, of course, is a no-go: Garbage in, garbage out – and some movies re-compress better than others.

So I guess what I’m saying is… what was I saying? I suppose it’s one of those things, when trying to come up with a precise answer to a general question!

@pcdanno

Were you noticing pixellation on your PC, or just your television? :stuck_out_tongue:

writersblock, I totally agree with what you’ve written! Between your and my post we’ve pretty much answered the hell out of the question. :slight_smile:

Next!