Does this Optical Driver burn at 2.4x?Hey

Hey,
I am very new to this whole burning business so I was hoping I could get some help. I am planning to purchase an optical drive so that I can burn data etc onto DVDs. So I am curious as to whether this

Burns at 2.4x? And also can it burn onto DVD+/-R DL?

Sorry for the perhaps newbie question, but I am confused about this whole burning speed malarky.

Thank you. :flower:

22x DVD-R
8x DVD+R
12x DVD-R DL
12x DVD+R DL
12x DVD-RW
8x DVD+RW
12x DVD-RAM

It can write at speeds lower than those above, down to 2.4x for DVD+R/ DLDVD+R and 2x for DVD-R versions.

Do you need an External USB drive though?

Most computers in the last few years have an internal (IDE/SATA) DVD writer, which should be about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of an external.

Reliability wise, USB writers may have trouble reaching full speed.

If you don’t need lightscribe (burning the label on special [aka expensive] lightscribe CD/DVD’s) you might save a few $ by getting a non-lightscribe version.

The only reliable Dual Layer DVDR’s are verbatim.
The single layer DVDR’s that come recommended, go with Taiyo Yuden (f you can get it) or Verbatim if you can’t.

If it’s a bargain, it’s probably too good to be true :stuck_out_tongue:

QUOTE=debro;2278778

It can write at speeds lower than those above, down to 2.4x for DVD+R/ DLDVD+R and 2x for DVD-R versions.[/quote]:disagree:
Minimum speed for SL media is 4x with Samsung drives, starting with their 18x series.
And if MCSE has read the table of media from the firmware correctly, then there are only a few DL MIDs that are supported at 2.4x (+R DL) or 2x (-R DL)
(…)

Reliability wise, USB writers may have trouble reaching full speed.
I expect the USB bridges in manufacturer made external drives being optimised to the drive, so the bottleneck will be the USB controller of the computer the unit is connected to.
12x or even 16x shouldn’t be a problem at all unless there is a crappy Ali USB controller (max out at 12 MB/sec) used.

Michael