Does the NEC ND-3550 support PIE/PIF error scanning with Nero CD/DVD Speed?

vbimport

And if so, will it report jitter? Can’t find any info on this at Nero – or here, via the search feature.

Yes the 3550 supports PIE/PIF error scanning and no it doesn’t report jitter. Just insert the disc you want to scan, start Nero CD/DVD Speed (in the Nero Toolkit section), select 5x speed for scanning and hit the start button. Please note that NEC drives are not the best scanning devices.

Please search the NEC subforum for more information. (search for 3550A scanning ; for example ) :wink:

happy scanning :wink:

No it doesn’t, support jitter scaning.
In my knowledge none of the NEC’s do.
I owned several (3500, 3540, 3550, 4551), they didn’t.
Benqs do.

The NEC 3550 supports PIE/PIF scanning for DVDs and C1/C2 scanning for CDs. No Jitter scanning and no reporting of POF or CU.

The problem is that many 3550 drives are simply not reliable scanners. You can get really lucky and get a 3550 that reports PIE/PIF in a sensible way, you can be among the majority who get reliable PIF but ridiculous PIE reporting, or you can be among the unlucky who get a drive that reports unreliably for both PIE and PIF.

If you need a reliable drive for PIE/PIF scanning you should get a LiteOn DVD burner.

BenQ burners are OK for PIE/PIF/Jitter scanning if you only scan discs burned in BenQ drives (and some other drive models), but they are unreliable for scanning DVDs burned in NEC and LiteOn drives.

If you need a reliable drive for PIE/PIF scanning you should get a LiteOn DVD burner.

There aren’t any decently-rated Liteon’s sold in the USA at the moment. The 165P6S series has reports of bad DVD -R writing (the lead-in position is out of spec?).:frowning: I really would like a good scanner to compliment my NEC.

Thanks for the info, guys. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘decently-rated’. Are you talking about poor reviews? :confused:

It’s true that the 5S and 6S series have an issue with lead-in on DVD-R media, but the fix already exists in test firmware available from the CDFreaks LiteOn forum, and this fix will be included in the next official firmware release!

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘decently-rated’. Are you talking about poor reviews?
Yes – poor user reviews, mostly. Haven’t found any ‘professional’ reviews on this model here or anywhere else Google crawls.

It’s true that the 5S and 6S series have an issue with lead-in on DVD-R media, but the fix already exists in test firmware available from the CDFreaks LiteOn forum, and this fix will be included in the next official firmware release!

Well, I’ll look for the official FW soon then, and get one of these. Great price in the US for the retail model! :slight_smile:

Newegg has Litey SHM-165P6S for less than $40 and you will find a ‘professional’ review here .

In my opinion this drive is a great scanner.

Thanks for that test report link. :slight_smile:

Newegg must not have stocked that drive several weeks ago because I checked all the CDR Info reviews for the Liteons they did stock last month and came up empty. Looks like that drive is a good DVD burner/reader, although the TRT graph for TYGO2 was discouraging – since that is my preferred MID. But if the main purpose is scanning, it should do the trick.

One question: If that “Litey” has difficulty reading TYGO2’s in Nero, will the Quality Scan be inaccurate?