Does the Lite-On SHM-165H6S need an 80 conductor ide cable?

To run properly does this drive need this type of ide to run good? I see it will run in different modes. So I assume it’s capable of running with a 40 pin conductor as well. I am just wondering what the deal is. I see reviews on newegg which you got to take with a grain of salt. The thing is some people can’t seem to get there’s to work without an 80 ide. Now that’s a pretty important thing to inform people about when buying a drive I would think. I want to ask this question in every drive forum that i’m intersted in. Especially the one I currently own the NEC 3550 ( maybe it needs a different cable. I don’t know. I am not even sure what I have now). I’m asking here first because this is quite possibly my next purchase. It’s seems pretty vital for good burning, and compadability to know these things before you purchase a drive.

These days you shoud use 80-wire cable as standard for all your IDE devices. In the rare case that this should cause any issues, you can try with a 40-wire. It all depends on the mobo chipset and drivers used and not just on the burner. :slight_smile:

Ok thank you I need to find my mobo manuel.

I still wouldn’t be able to advise you anything else. It’s a trial-and-error thing. :wink:

So it sounds like it would be a good idea just to have one of them cables around anyhow. I’m not even sure what I have now. I remember thinking about looking at it when I went to install my last drive. Apparently I forgot to look.