Does the file size change?

vbimport

I’m about to convert an .avi to DVD format. The file size for the .avi is 949 mb. Does the file size change once you convert it to DVD format?

I’m only wondering because the file I’m putting on is about 2 1/2 hours long and I’m only putting it on standard DVD-R, which as everyone knows it says it can only hold 2 hours worth of video. :slight_smile:

My guess is the file size does change :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, the mpeg2 codec is not as efficient at compression, so when you convert it will increase in size. You can set your encoding program to output a specific size however, so you shouldn’t go past the size that can fit onto a single layer dvd.

What are you using to convert? Two free products often recommended around here are FAVC and DVDFlick.

I’m using ConvertXtoDVD to convert and burn. It seems to work pretty well with converting but since I only started using it I never had to shrink the files so I’m gonna have to check into whether it can or not. I’ve used DVD Shrink in the past but when I used it you could usually catch me sitting on my couch cussing the dvd player out because it keeps skipping or freezing. lol

The only other option is to use a DVD-DL?

One quick question. When figuring out what can fit onto a DVD-R I should go by the files size rather than how many hours it can fit?

One quick question. When figuring out what can fit onto a DVD-R I should go by the files size rather than how many hours it can fit?

It all comes down to bitrate. (filesize=bitrate X time). Google ‘bitrate calculator’ for more info.

[QUOTE=lillizzierae;2155736]I’m using ConvertXtoDVD to convert and burn. It seems to work pretty well with converting but since I only started using it I never had to shrink the files so I’m gonna have to check into whether it can or not. I’ve used DVD Shrink in the past but when I used it you could usually catch me sitting on my couch cussing the dvd player out because it keeps skipping or freezing. lol

One quick question. When figuring out what can fit onto a DVD-R I should go by the files size rather than how many hours it can fit?[/QUOTE]

That is one of the best if not the best program to convert. DVD-R DL now that must be some mystic story I have yet to see any DVD-R DL?? Where you get those? You most likely notice that when you were adding files to be converted to dvd format that there is indicators telling your quality of the conversion yes?? Putting to many files will lower the conversion output quality but if you keep it at excellent it should produce good output results. But takes more DVD+R DL or DVD+R media to store it on if your going for excellent conversion. But be forwarned it takes alot of CPU, Mem, HDD, and any other resource your computer has for it to do its’ job. So when you do convert leave the computer alone to finish the task then after that you can do what you want. Reason I would choose DVD+R media is to be able to booktype it from DVD+R or DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM for compatiblity on standalone players.

[QUOTE=lillizzierae;2155736]I’m using ConvertXtoDVD to convert and burn. It seems to work pretty well with converting but since I only started using it I never had to shrink the files so I’m gonna have to check into whether it can or not. [B]I’ve used DVD Shrink in the past but when I used it you could usually catch me sitting on my couch cussing the dvd player out because it keeps skipping or freezing. lol[/B]

One quick question. When figuring out what can fit onto a DVD-R I should go by the files size rather than how many hours it can fit?[/QUOTE]
Your freezing/skipping problems had nothing to do with DVD Shrink or the shrinking process. Using high quality -R’s like Taiyo Yuden TYG02 should fix that and provide maximum player compatibility.