Does the Epson Artisan 50 do a decent dvd print?

I am looking at buying a new printer… it is for printing discs… I already have a 3 in 1 that works great for the other printing/copying purposes… the Artisan series is new and I don’t see alot of feedback on them in here yet … So am wondering if anyone has this model and can shed some light as to this new series, disc print quality, software user interface, is there a continuous ink supply system for them, etc… I read the tray is a pushbutton eject or something like that?
:cool:

[QUOTE=~Soul~;2310824]I am looking at buying a new printer… it is for printing discs… I already have a 3 in 1 that works great for the other printing/copying purposes… the Artisan series is new and I don’t see alot of feedback on them in here yet … So am wondering if anyone has this model and can shed some light as to this new series, disc print quality, software user interface, is there a continuous ink supply system for them, etc… I read the tray is a pushbutton eject or something like that?
:cool:[/QUOTE]

Yes there is a CISS system for the Epson 50 series printer
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Super-Premium-Electronics_Artisan-50_W0QQ_fsubZ844378013QQ_sidZ608659363QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

it looks to have the tray like the older printers used and it got a couple of good reviews on newegg

I believe it is the newer Artisan 700 and 800 series has the pushbutton tray. :iagree:

i have the artisan 800…best printer ive ever owned hands down.

Haven’t tried it yet but there’s a CISS system I’m thinking about getting from here:

http://www.inkproducts.com/epson_artisan_50_refillable_cart.htm

Been using the Artisan 50 for 3 months now and have to say I’m very happy with the purchase. I use it mainly to print on DVD’s and for that purpose it’s fantastic. The discs are beautiful and they print within literally 2 minutes. Another thing I really like about this printer is the separate ink cartridges for each color and, unlike so many other printers out there, this one prints down to the last dregs. None of those “you’re out of ink” messages and refusing to let you print when the cartridges are obviously still a quarter full.

Anyway, just thought I’d pass that on…

It is looking like the R280 but is newer. Is it a photo printing machine even though photo is not in title like Epson Stylus Photo R280? Is it taking the position in product offerings where R280 would have been?

Thank you

If you can find one, the R280 is better. The R280 will also print ID cards. It only requires an modified CD/DVD tray (See new-identification.com) or an ID tray available on eBay.

When the print head on my old Canon Pixma MP780 stopped printing magenta, I reluctantly began considering other printers that could handle CDs and DVDs.

I eventually decided to buy the Epson Artisan 50, despite my earlier problems with TWO Stylus Photo printers, and my aversion to Epson’s terrible customer support…well, it was terrible six or seven years ago. Maybe it has changed for the better. My other objection to Epson is their continuing practice of attempting to lock their customers into using overpriced ink. But now all the printer manufacturers do that.

The reasons I made an exception for the Artisan 50 are these:

1.    The printer has better than average customer reviews.
2.    I found a continuous ink supply system (CISS) for the Artisan 50 on eBay ($35) that frees me from the tyranny of Epson's overpriced ink cartridges.

I have printed hundreds of disks with the Canon MP780, but only a few with the Artisan 50, so anything I say about its performance is based on much less disk printing experience. I’ve owned it for only a little over one month as of this writing, but so far I’m (mostly) happy with the purchase.

The CD/DVD print quality (so far) appears to be about the same as the Canon MP780 (which is excellent), and it’s much easier to print on disks than it is with the Canon, which requires you to save all disk graphics in PDF format and print from the PDF file. I haven’t used the Artisan 50’s software enough to say much about it one way or the other, and I probably won’t use it much. I usually prepare my label graphics as image files in a drawing application (Intaglio) and then just import the image as the entire label.

The Artisan does have one very annoying “feature”. There’s some kind of energy saver that turns off the printer’s power after it sits unused for a while. The power indicator light goes off, and pushing the power button doesn’t work to restore power. The only way to get the printer to power up is to unplug the power cord, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in again. Then it powers up.

There’s nothing in the printed documentation about this “feature”, and it’s not apparent how Epson intends the user to restore power after the printer turns itself off, so I just turn the power off manually after I’m done printing, and then turn it back on when I’m ready to print. That’s not a problem for me because I don’t print disks very often, and when I do I usually print many of them. Nevertheless, if you intend to use the Artisan 50 as your primary printer, the boneheaded “energy saver” feature could be a real nuisance.

I still use my Canon MP780 for black and white printing, or other jobs where the color doesn’t matter, so I haven’t used the Artisan 50 as much as I would if it were my only printer. I’ll post an update after I’ve had more experience with it.

The Artisan does have one very annoying “feature”. There’s some kind of energy saver that turns off the printer’s power after it sits unused for a while. The power indicator light goes off, and pushing the power button doesn’t work to restore power. The only way to get the printer to power up is to unplug the power cord, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in again. Then it powers up.

That’s strange. Mine doesn’t do that. I leave it on all the time.