Does the Dye make the disc?

I wonder how much the type of Dye used has any effect on discs that go bad after a short time.
Both Princo and Ritek (G05) use an Organic dye. These two discs are the worst for data loss. Infosmart used to use Organic dyes and they had problems. They have switched to AZO now.
Both TY and MCC use Inorganic AZO dye as does other brands. Neither TY or MCC have been noted for data loss.
MXL discs use Organic dye however and I would place 8 x MXL MID + and -R discs maybe higher than TY and MCC.
How much do peeps put data loss down to dye v’s other factors like bonding, stamper type etc?

“Does the dye make the disc?” is a lot like “Does the engine make the car?”

While it’s true that the engine is the heart of the car, it won’t go anywhere without the transmission or the tires.

In other words, it’s the main part of the disc. But not the only one. Other stuff matters too.

Organic cyanine dye was very good for CD-R. So it shouldn’t be too bad for DVD :slight_smile:
I agree with [B]lordsmurf[/B] this time, bonding and lacquer sealing, for example, are very important too.

As it’s already been mentioned by [B]Lordsmurf [/B] and [B]kg_evilboy[/B], the dye is only a part of the equation.

People like to go with simple explanations, so the dye has become a popular topic, though it’s far more complicated than that. Many even refer to the mediacode as “the dye”, which is absolutely wrong (the mediacode applies to the disc model, including all of its elements and even the manufacturing process).

Picture, for example, something no one seems to realise: the importance of the polycarbonate used for the disc itself. :stuck_out_tongue:
Is it strong enough to avoid warping? Is it clear enough to allow the laser to do its job properly? Is it pure enough to avoid small transparency defects? etc…

Now with this in mind, think of every single aspect of the disc production…
Each and everyone is important.