Does the BTC1004IM work with Win98SE?

vbimport

Hello,

Has anyone had success using the BTC 1004IM with Win98SE? I am using F/W 0048 and my media [Starlogic/Princo DVD-R, Khypermedia/TDK DVD-R, Ritek DVD-R] burns fine with DVD Decrypter 3.2.1.0 [sometimes the verify fails though] but the media is often flaky when I play it.

I am running an Intel PIII 500 MHz with 384MB SDRAM, do you think I would get better results running my copy of Windows 2000 Professional?

My IDE configuration is as follows:

Primary Master: Maxtor 13.6GB HDD
Primary Slave: MicroAdvantage/BTC 1004IM
Secondary Master: Maxtor 80GB HDD
Secondary Slave: Western Digital 80GB HDD

Thanks in advance for the help.

ski

Originally posted by skiman777
Does the BTC1004IM work with Win98SE?

Yes, it does.

Regards, Martin A

but the media is often flaky when I play it

Try removing the HDD from the primary channel (Optical and hard disks don’t mix well on the same IDE) and stay away from Princo media.

aws,

Thanks for the response! I just asked contrex this very same question, My More Detailed Post
So you think my problems might go away if I put the BTC 1004IM by itself on the Secondary IDE slot?

Right now I have:

Pri Mstr: Maxtor 13.6GB HDD
Pri Slav: MicroAdvantage/BTC 1004IM
Sec Mstr: Maxtor 80GB HDD
Sec Slav: Western Digital 80GB HDD

– both IDE cables are the new 80-wire configuration

And you suggest this:

Pri Mstr: Maxtor 80GB HDD
Pri Slav: Western Digital 80GB HDD
Sec Mstr: MicroAdvantage/BTC 1004IM
Sec Slav: [none]

Is that what you were thinking? Thanks for your help.

ski

Yes.

You could also try to slave your OD to Secondary IDE. Who knows, it just might work, and this way you would keep all of your hard disks.

Regards, Martin A

Centurio & aws,

Thanks for all the help. I moved the BTC 1004IM from PS to SM, and for the time being just to test the new configuration, I removed the WD 80GB completely, freeing up the SS so that the DVDRW has that IDE bus to itself.

I recently replaced the old 40-wire IDE cables with the newer 80-wire IDE cables. Until I read the Tom’s Hardware Guide article, I was unaware that two required different setup. Some of it did need to be changed so I made the appropriate changes.

My plan is to remove the 13.6GB HDD altogether and put both 80GB HDDs on the Primary IDE bus and let the BTC DVDRW have the Secondary IDE bus all to itself as the SM.

Thanks again guys!

ski

Centurio & aws,

I setup my computer with 13.6GB PM and 80GB PS, and BTC 1004IM as SM.

I have been having trouble backing up my PS2 game Whiplash.

[BTC1004 0048, Win98SE, DVD Decrypter 3.2.1.0 Rip/Burn @ 1x on Princo 1-2x DVD-R]
The first copy I made before the configuration change had very glitchy audio and some video.

[BTC1004 0048, Win98SE, DVD Decrypter 3.2.1.0 Rip/Burn @ 1x on Princo 1-2x DVD-R]
The second copy was ‘slightly’ better but still had the same audio and video problems.

[BTC1004 0048, Win98SE, DVD Decrypter 3.2.1.0 Rip/Burn @ 1x on Ridata G04 2, 4x DVD-R]
For the third attempt I used the highly acclaimed Ritek/Ridata G04 but after burned it I noticed DVD Decrypter described the disc as 2x, 4x. I thought the disc was 1-4x so I burned it at 1x like I do everything. This one was the worst copy of all, far worse than the two Princos. I have burned 4 Ritek G04s on the BTC 1004IM and although every copy has burned successfully they do not end of being good copies. The Princos, believe it or not, have a much higher success ratio on my system.

Although I find it hard to believe that a disc that can handle faster speeds of 2x and 4x cannot handle 1x, do you think it is possible that this is what actually destroyed the disc???

My next goal is to remove the 13.6GB and use the two 80GBs and BTC 1004 DVDRW and hope that does the trick. Thanks in advance for your help!

ski

Although I find it hard to believe that a disc that can handle faster speeds of 2x and 4x cannot handle 1x, do you think it is possible that this is what actually destroyed the disc???

According to my own experience, I would not want to exclude it.

Only a couple of days ago I tried to back up some video on two DVD (FW 0049, MID: RICOHJPN-R01-02). I burned them at 1x, just to be on the safe side, but my standalone wouldn’t touch them with a pole. Caught me with my pants down.

I gave it another try at 4x, and guess what? No probs at all on the same standalone.

Something else to watch out for, no doubt.

In any case, from now on I’ll always let DVDIdentifier have a look at the blanks before relying on some printed label. Oh well, live and learn.

Regards, Martin A