Does the 5005X have the ability to record an audio CD (CDDA) to a CD-R disc?

A store in my area is selling these and since there hasn’t been any other players around that record CD’s I thought I might as well grab one. However from what I’ve read online, although I’ve confirmed on Amazon reviews the 5005 records audio CDs, there appears to be some major differences between the 5005 and the 5005X.

Although things like disabling macro and home brew firmware etc would be nice (and from what I’ve read the 5005X will not do this) my major interest in this model is recording to standard (aka blank discs that aren’t marketed as audio CDs) CD-R’s is my major interest.

Thanks for any info.

NG

hi nakedgord, yes the 5005X can do audio CDs. if you researched the model, you might have found out that an ILO R04 which doesn’t do CDs can be crossflashed to a Liteon 5005X which can do CDs.

FYI, I have an ILO R04 and when I want to do an audio CD, I crossflash my R04 to a 5005X and record my CD. You just need to press EDIT while recording to create individual tracks. So I go back and forth between the two firmwares. When I need the hacked capabilities, I flash the R04 as a R04, when I need an audio CD, I flash the R04 to a Liteon 5005X.

The 5005X cannot be flashed as a R04. The crossflash was design for the R04 and unfortunately does not work the other way around.

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck;1954592]hi nakedgord, yes the 5005X can do audio CDs. if you researched the model, you might have found out that an ILO R04 which doesn’t do CDs can be crossflashed to a Liteon 5005X which can do CDs.

FYI, I have an ILO R04 and when I want to do an audio CD, I crossflash my R04 to a 5005X and record my CD. You just need to press EDIT while recording to create individual tracks. So I go back and forth between the two firmwares. When I need the hacked capabilities, I flash the R04 as a R04, when I need an audio CD, I flash the R04 to a Liteon 5005X.

The 5005X cannot be flashed as a R04. The crossflash was design for the R04 and unfortunately does not work the other way around.[/QUOTE]

Hey. Thanks for the awesome advice. Picked one up today and, sure enough, when I popped in a Maxell Professional CDR (rebranded TY) a pop up menu appeared asking me if I wanted to create a VCD, SVCD and, ta da, a CDDA disc.

When I got to the store I found the website incorrectly listed the player as the 5005X however it’s actually the 5005XS. I’m not sure how that relates to what you’re saying about swapping firmwares etc but the CDDA worked out so, even if nothing more can be done, I’m a happy camper :smiley:

Thanks for the FYI :slight_smile:

Glad to see you can do your CDs. These are great units to do LPs (receiver’s output to recorder).

The info provide was for the 5005X. The 5005XS is a different model and and like the 5005X, cannot be hacked.