Does the 1640's ADCS works correctly?

vbimport

Yesterday whilst I was installing my third 1640 (in my third PC of course) I noticed that when placing the drive into the drive bay, the ADCS chimney (the grid holes on the side) was blocked by the steel of the bay, so I checked the other two PC and I discovered the same thing. I was wondering how I didn’t see that until now.
I took two aluminium spacers and placed next to the screw holes to allow about 2-3mm of space and guess what?
Normally after a couple of DVD scan the disc was very hot but after placing the spacers the disc after three scans in a row is only lukewarm.
Now that’s only a stupid thing or an issue leading to an overheating of the drive with consequent bad burns or speed dropdown.
BTW I never had a problem with my three 1640 but it would be interesting to know if anybody that have a problem can be correlated to overheating due to chimney blocked.

No heat problems with my OEM 1640. In fact, the 1640 performs better (lower PIE/PIF) under higher ambient temp and humidity than my Plextor 716A, although the Plextor is on top of the BenQ and therefore may be receiving less air cooling from the fans (not to mention more exposure to heat from the case plus the BenQ).

Also, I don’t recall seeing any blockage of the vents when I installed the 1640, though I wasn’t suspicious for it nor had any control unit to compare it against.

Smaller size, more heat.
The new “short-loader” design of 1640 has minimized the overall size of drive and of course heat has to be transformated trough smaller area = more heat on every inch.

Sofar, I have not experienced any heat problems, but then my drive is still “brand” new and I’m living in “Nordic region”… I cross my fingers.

Read also this thread how other members solved this ADCS problem. (Posted three weeks ago.)

Hi :slight_smile:
Heat dissapation?
How far do you go?
With most things that are affected by heat there is a min/max temp, that the manufacturer takes into account when designing a new product.
In the case of the 1640 it is not just heat, but dust that are seen as important factors here.
"Channelling is introduced to assist air movement, which in turn aids heat loss through case without creating a hotspot. The “Chimney” allows heat to be transferred to the wall of CD/DVD drive encasement. The gap or rather the lack of it is as a result of keeping dust out. Whilst some case design may leave some if not all vents clear, the majority will not
As pointed out in Evolution2001’s post, although heat loss may rise the possibility of dust intrusion will also rise.
You solution can in extreme case (& I’m not saying that this is true in your case) the introduction of spacers can affect torsional effects on the said drive + allowing dust infiltration.
If a case is pushed to limits of cooling via air circulation, then remedies like Evolution’s or your may be an aid to stability of said drive.
But as mentioned earlier operating temp may then be lowered to below the ideal.
BenQ’s temps are min 5C max 50C, therefore it is possible that optimum results may be achieved at say 40C. Hence modifications could reduce this figure & whilst no damage will come as a result. Ideal performance may not be obtained.

Edit in response to pinto2 :iagree:

I think you have C (Celsius = centigrade) in mind when you talk about %

I have to agree on dust concern though. :iagree:

• Sidenote; mr. Celsius was from Sweden.

I think dust is not a problem since ADCS stands for Anti-Dust Cooling System (from the review “With an integrated heat chimney design, ADCS redirects the heat flow out of the drive, while still providing protection from dust”), and in my case there are not torsional effect since there is already a gap that will be closed when I tighten the screw, with the spacers I only maintain that gap to let hot air go out of the drive.
Anyway I didn’t say that I have overheating problem but that I noticed a decreased disc temperature when I pull it out of the drive and, I repeat myself, I have three 1640 and all are working great even without spacers, no problems at all.

@Pinto2 : I apologize, I missed that thread.

As I implied in my previous posting I felt that your use of spacers wasn’t a problem. However for some to follow along those guidlines it could be.
Antidust only works when access is restritced. When drive is not in use, therefore no air movement/no venting along the princible of ADCS then the increased spacing can result in foriegn bodies entering said “chimney”. After all heat & air movement from the rest of system, HD’s, CDRW/DVDRW & fans means dust etc circulating inside case.
I appreciate that you may not have a particular problem with heat, but for those who do or find some benefit out of the spacer idea. I suggest something like a lintfree material over said “chimney” to act as filter thus getting the best of both worlds. Increased heat loss + antidust.
For those not aware dust is often a bigger problem than heat.

Hi zebadee

From Benq’s site :

“The BenQ exclusive Dual Cooling System(DCS) features Anti-Dust Cooling System(ADCS) and Air Flow Cooling System(AFCS) to effictively reduce the potential for over-heating during high-speed reading and writing. With an integrated heat chimney design, ADCS redirects the heat flow out of the drive and still provides for protection from dust. AFCS accelerates the circulation inside the drive and speeds up the heat elimination through the drive’s steel housing.”

Where did you see that “Antidust only works when access is restritced. When drive is not in use” and also if there’s “no air movement/no venting” which heat flow does the ADCS redirect out of ?
From what I read DCS is ADCS and AFCS working together during HiSpeed writing/reading, or maybe you are right and it’s all smoke in the eyes.

But, first of all, the question is “Why at Benq they placed a vent on the drive side if it’s useless ?”

Perhaps Eleewhm could give us a proper answer.

Hmmm I wonder how many people are pulling out the drill for some minor case mods.Just checked mine and only 3 holes out of 12 are visable.For about 10 min work guess it won’t hurt… :slight_smile:

It strikes me as logical that for “antidust” to work airflow must be filtered/restricted. After all if open plan is employed then dust has access.
I should have started a new paragraph when refering to when drive is not in use to make my point clearer.
BenQ’s whole theory behind the DCS, ADCS,AFCS. Is that when drive is in use air movement initiated by the spinning of drive is aided by first channelling to increase air movement (AFCS) then enhanced by the chimney (ADCS).
This gives you a Dual Cooling System (DCS)
Venting on the bottom in theory (as heat rises) could result in extremes to dust being “sucked” in.
Venting on top could result in any components above being affected by increased heat.
Hence side venting.
With side venting its unlikely that you’ll have an airtight fit. This venting makes for easier heat transfer from drive to CD/DVD encasement. Plus as its unlikely to be airtight increase air movement.
When a drive is on stanby any heat transfer is by convection, as no drive spinning little or no air movement. Therefore at this point DCS is not employed.
If in these conditions chimney vent is left access free for the elements, it must introduce the possiblity of allowing foriegn bodies. No matter how slight.
It is in my opinion logical & a good move by BenQ to have side venting. It is possible in the future that this will be reccessed along with a mini filter. I believe that it isn’t applied at present merely because of cost.

N.B. Most heat is still dissapated through the drives own housing & unless you feel that there’s a heat problem or performance is suffering, then I suggest there’s no need for these modifications.
I have a four bay (external) computer that I’ve just setup with 4 1640’s in it.
2 of the drives are crossflashed to Plextor 740’s. This is so I can compare without flashing any further.
Setup 1 BenQ 1640 reader/ripper > 1 BenQ 1640 writer > 1 “Plextor 740” reader/ripper > 1 “Plextor 740” writer.
I’ve made no mods & intend on leaving this on 24/7.

Hmm I have had my plextor 740 for around 3 months, but lately its been acting goofy. Its currently flashed to BSLB and all is well. Whats weird is after 3 burns or so the drive really heats up…now when its this hot the drive seems to be getting stuck on finalizing…I have to reboot my computer to get the drive to stop…I have let it run for 10 minutes without it finishing. I am also using fuji CDrs so I am sure its not the media. Could this be heat related? Thanks!

So there is no actual noisy fan that is constantly running like in the old Plextor drives? This cooling system actually utilizes the spindle motor and only running when there is a disc in the drive spinning/reading/burning? If so, SWEET! I hate those tiny noisy fans.