Does Recorded dvd-r Decay Rapidly?

vbimport

I belong to a fitness forum and we hear lots of talk about workouts recorded to dvd-r decay, or can decay, within 5-12 viewings. I want to know if this is true and why because it doesn’t make sense to me.

It’s normal for fitness professionals, who don’t have a large market yet, to produce and sell their workouts on dvd-r. Savvy fitness consumers won’t buy them because they’ve heard so many stories about them degrading quickly. Some dvd-r’s don’t play in some players, we know that. But why would a dvd-r play well, initially, and then after a dozen viewings start to skip, not play, freeze, or have a lesser quality picture? It doesn’t make sense to me. It’s just a laser reading the disc, not anything that would cause “wear”.

So that’s the question. Why? Many people say it DOES happen so I can’t dispute that.

Alexis

Within 5-12 viewings? Personally, I’d look at the quality of the media being used, but that’s just me.

There have been debates about this in the Blank Media forum (try doing a search of that forum)…not sure what the outcome was, it all got a bit technical for me :bigsmile:

No-one really knows how long DVD recordable media will last, without a crystal ball :bigsmile:

Edit: Also, I guess storage can play a part…

High quality recordable media will last through many viewings as the process of viewing imparts no wear to the media. Problems with repeated viewings are most often due to physical damage. I would not assume a gym is the best environment for wear and tear. If you want to avoid problems such as this, there are some newer armored media, I think TDK makes something.

The quality of the burn and the quality of the media are the biggest variables.

The dvds aren’t used in a gym. They are sold to consumers - people who exercise in their home.

I’m thinking the answer lies in “regular” consumers being able to see the finer points of a recording that you all do. Maybe there were ever so slight issues with the dvd that the unsavvy viewer would miss. But then why would it get worse? Hmmmmmm.

Sounds like a mystery. You all, and I agree, are saying that it’s highly unlikely for it to happen (as these people say; poof - doesn’t work), yet some people say it has happened.

They aren’t going to like the answer that it’s THEM.

Thanks so much,
Alexis

If you use bad quality media (E.g. Ritek) the median will degrade it quality over time. I have had dvds i have made backups of that have started go show glitches, and i have had to re-backup. As long as you use good quality media (eg verbatim) it should last much longer.

As the discs are going out to different people, it’s hard to say how they’re storing them, too. If the discs weren’t terrific burns to start with, or on great media, bad storage could make things worse…

I have some two-year old discs (Taiyo Yuden media), which are still going strong after those two years - even though the burner I used at the time was pretty crappy…but they’re stored in jewel cases in a cool room, without much light, and don’t come out much.

ok if these are produced by the person creating the video then my guess is that they are a fitness expert, not a dvd expert.

poor quality media, plus a wishy washy burner, plus out of date firmware, plus multi-tasking while burning, plus having a machine with questionable specs to perform the burning = poor burns that may not last very long.

it’s not that all DVD-Rs are junk and and will deteriorate…it’s the production cost and quality that are subpar and the person producing the discs is to blame for not being knowledgeable enough to produce a quality product.

also, there’s the horror of stick-on labels. if these are for sale and the person selling them wants them to look good, i really hope they’re not using the printable labels that you peel and stick to the top of the dvd. those labels are nightmares and will, in and of themselves, cause poor playback especially on computer drives.