Does recoding "correct" scratches?

Ok, so everyone knows that no dvd disc is 100% perfect. The checksum will never be what it was at the factory. Sometimes we even have damage so bad that the disc visibly skips in a dvd player, or even worse, causes our ripping software to halt partway through.

With this in mind, is there any particular method that will help avoid serious issues when copying so that the resulting burned DVD is at least as functional as the original? I’m sick of copies which fail to playback (on any player) at the same point where there was just a minor skip in the original.

Maybe there’s a simple answer, but I doubt it. First of all, how does “Clone” mode handle errors? Does it write the final dvd in such a way that the player will think the errors are scratches, does it write zeroes, or what? I would assume cloning means that for every physical pit on the metalic layer there is a spot of darkened dye on the copy, but I know that the copy procedure is not this finely controlled.

Secondly, will recoding, even if only to 99%, help reduce playback problems? Ie. will the recoding engine read frame by frame just as my standalone dvd player does, and smartly deal with skipped frames?

Thanks for any input!

Please repost giving more details.
What burner are you using?
What blank media are you using?
What software are you using to backup your disc?
If the disc you are using is badly scratched have you taken it to a rental store and paid for the disc to be re polished. This can be a cheap way to get better copies.
I always backup my recently purchased DVD and put the original away so that when the copy becomes damaged I can use the pristine original for a new backup.

I’m using DVDFab for everything, but occasionally I’ll rip to iso and burn with nero, or use iso mounting software to play the iso from the hard drive. I can figure out the issue for myself, but was hoping to get some generic info back that would be useful to others, not just those with my specific hardware setup. While the issue may be my computer, I would imagine that DVDfab handles read errors the same regardless of their cause. Knowing how it handles these errors would be helpful.

Some things I’m looking for are:
-when in clone mode, and sectors aren’t readable, what’s it do? Especially for DL’s. Does it toss sectors and move the layer break?
-will the bitseting be identical on a clone, or does this depend on other things?

Hmm… I don’t think I can answer your question in depth, but would like to add my 2 cents worth of experience with this problem. Get a pioneer dvd burner. That simple. Problem solved. I have made backups of the most horribly damaged dvd’s, with the worst scratches you could imagine and the pioneer’s error correction handles it perfectly every time. I’ve used dvdShrink and dvdfab with discs like that and both software programs have handled it fine. I did have a Lite-on drive, and it has been shelved and will never be used because the pioneer surpassed it in handling this kind of damaged disk. I also have had problems with brand new never been played dvd’s that skip at the same point every time and found that by burning a backup copy, the copy plays 100% perfect without skipping any material, at least not noticeable in any way. Pioneer is known for having the best error correction on the market, and I’ve heard that repeated several times by so-called guru’s who know a lot more than I do. My experience, however, does seem to prove them right. I have solved the problem of skipping originals by using dvdfab to rip and copy2dvd (vso) to burn (I know, dvdfab uses vso engine to burn, but I had bought their software a couple years prior to learning of dvdfab). Anyway, hope this information is of some use to you. I have used the pioneer dvr-108 pata, dvr-111 pata, and now the dvr-212 serial ata, excellent luck with all three models. The only thing that is agrevating is that once a new model is released, they stop updating the firmware for the previous models, so if you want the latest firmware, you pretty much have to upgrade yearly, but as cheap as they are now and for the quality of the merchandise, it’s only a minor annoyance at the very most!

Rick

DESERTSP,
As far as I know and,have experimented with some of my old dvd’s with minor
scratches,and skips the new version of dvdfab 3.1.5.6 , did correct a few of them
so the copy played normally. I haven’t tried some really bad ones,but I will give it
a shot,and let you know.
ZAP.