Does quality in discs degrade if not played?

Like for example, you just burn and backup dvd and never use it, does the quality fade away after a long time 1-3 years? or does it fade faster if you use it a lot? So after 2 years of not using it, it shouldnt drop?

Most my discs(*verb *sony * and some crapy phillips disc still work too after a few years)at quality score of 95, never had a 100 score one, dont know if its good or not everyones scans are completely different in a way.

Don’t know why they say dvds are meant to last 25+ years?.

I heard that if you keep the disks from dust and a cool dry place they should stay fresh (GOOD) until to open them. I really don’t think that opening a package of disk really matters whether they will fade or deterate any. I sometimes have cd and dvd packs open for month with no quality loss that I can see or test.

I mean as in burned discs forgot to mention.

Oh? Well in that case I have cd’s (Sony Audio) from 1995 and they be still fine after all these years.

I’ve kept two sets of archive backups, same data on each set, for at least a couple of years now.

I scanned and TRT’ed one set not long ago, still just fine. :slight_smile:

These archives consist of both CDR and DVD R media.

You know its funny but I remember it use to taake me a have hour to copy my cd’s back then. Man times fly, huh? :wink:

Unless the discs are “set to degrade” [have a known history of degrading–RITEKG05, TTH02, etc], and/or unless you mis-handle the discs while not playing them, there shouldn’t be much difference in keeping them in deep storage and using them daily.

BTW: only a few people get a quality score of 100. Don’t worry about it. :flower:

Thanks a lot guys helped out alot.

Barely got into this disc checking. I usually just burn and put away.

Do regular movie DVD degrades hehe? I have a lot but rarely watch them, bad habit of buying stuff and not using.

Hehe, by regular movie, you mean original discs right?

I’ve had some degrade so I don’t trust them at all. I would back up all original movies.

I’ve experienced about that same, cd’s i burned in the mid 90’s still work fine… even the ritek G04’s I used back when i had my first dvd burner (a 4x lg burner) scan fine (albeit a friend of mine swore up down and sideways that his princo discs were just as a good, so I swapped him a couple, i tested the burns on the princos and they’re no longer readable). I’ve found that by reading message boards and reviews I’ve managed to buy what was the better media at the time I was buying it, which has resulted in my most of my burned collection fairing relatively well. (its still odd that Ritek was regarded pretty decently when i first started buying the g04’s, but then they put out some bad batches and that was it).

The major killers of discs are light, heat and humidity. Some Riteks (G05) die on their own with no help at all. I have 3-4 year old Prodisc S04s that scan with the same quality as when they were new.

I have a ton of stuff on RitekG05’s. Are they all or the majority prone to dying quickly or only certain batches?

[QUOTE=SSJ4 Vegetto;1944354]I have a ton of stuff on RitekG05’s. Are they all or the majority prone to dying quickly or only certain batches?[/QUOTE]

All prone. When and how badly can be random. I suggest stocking up on Verbatim as soon as you have enough money to buy a heap and backing up all those discs.

If you can’t read them because of degrading. Use a new LG drive. They’re usually excellent readers. If you have an LG and it and all other drives cannot read your G05, your data is gone for good :frowning:

They always degrade, whatever you do or not. :smiley:

[QUOTE=chef;1944404]They always degrade, whatever you do or not. :D[/QUOTE]

Are you answering to the post above you or the OP?

I highly doubt a stable disc will degrade much whether burnt or not.

Discs that are known to degrade are also known to be fine so long as they aren’t burnt. I’ll stand corrected if some people have gotten completely un-burnable G05.

Discs that are known to degrade are also known to be fine so long as they aren’t burnt. I’ll stand corrected if some people have gotten completely un-burnable G05.

I still have some old G05s in Slim Cases here.
Maybe Ill test your theory :cool:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1944419]Are you answering to the post above you or the OP?

I highly doubt a stable disc will degrade much whether burnt or not.

Discs that are known to degrade are also known to be fine so long as they aren’t burnt. I’ll stand corrected if some people have gotten completely un-burnable G05.[/QUOTE]

I answered to the thread/title question.

[QUOTE=Womi;1944506]I still have some old G05s in Slim Cases here.
Maybe Ill test your theory :cool:[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. So long as your writer supports burning to them, if they burn ok and scan acceptably, it would mean Ritek G05’s degradation begins only after writing.

LOL I had a couple of G05s for my LiteOn review.

Could have been the drive not liking them, but they burned like trash from the offset. :slight_smile:

Oh boy, I have lots of stuff burned to G05’s with a NEC ND-2500A in the past.

I need to start scanning those discs and see how they are holding up.