Does quality ever deteriorate when encoding a film that requires no compression?

vbimport

Hi all.

I’m curious to know, if I were to encode a film that required absolutley no compression to fit to dvd5 (Lets say its 4.1 gb exactly) and I put the output file to the desktop. I then encoded those output files again, and again, and again. Even though their is no compression required, would the quality of the film ever deteriorate from so much encoding?
I heard that its bad to encode something more than once, but im curious to know.
Does the quality ever get affected?

Thankyou.

No it will not

[QUOTE=pearce;2471383]Hi all.

I’m curious to know, if I were to encode a film that required absolutley no compression to fit to dvd5 (Lets say its 4.1 gb exactly) and I put the output file to the desktop. I then encoded those output files again, and again, and again. Even though their is no compression required, would the quality of the film ever deteriorate from so much encoding?
I heard that its bad to encode something more than once, but im curious to know.
Does the quality ever get affected?

Thankyou.[/QUOTE]

Since the process of encoding is lossy ( MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264 etc ), multiple encode / decode cycles will deteriorate the quality. The deteriotation rate will be affected by encoder settings and particular properties of the original movie ( bitrate, hi speed motion scenes, fast ilumination changes etc ).

Only a lossless encoding will not deteriorate the quality, even after multiple encode/decode.

Encoding repeatedly will incur loss of quality. Simply copying the data digitally will not. There is a difference in terminology here.