Does Printing Surface Impact Burn Quality?

vbimport

I feel like this sounds like a stupid question, but with the only exception being NOS, my experience of the last 2-3 years has been that shiny silver tops scan MUCH better than White tops. I have no idea WHY that would be the case, but it’s what I’m seeing.

Latest example:
TY N000 T02:

1. NOS Sonys that I bought here average 100-200 total PIF’s

2. A current manufacture cake box of silvers I bought from Amazon a few months back averaged 800 or so (best new manufacture I’d seen in aprox 2-3 years)

3. Yesterday got a tape wrap of Pro’s from Meritline with White Tops. I expected them to be better then the cake box, as the tape wraps don’t rattle in transit. These are averaging 3500-4000 PIF’s under identical conditions.

I’ve also seen this phenomenon consistently with CDR’s for several years, & with FTI DVD9’s. The old FTI Ricoh Value Line silver top DVD9’s scanned much better for me than current FTI white topped pro’s!

The most recent exception I’ve seen were the TDK/FTI minus white tops from about 3 years ago were quite good.

I get that this makes no sense, but there’s got to be a reason.

Thoughts? (No flames, please!)

I just opened the tape wrap of TY Pro silver laquer cdr’s that I got from Merit Line on the same order. While scores would be acceptable to some, these are the WORST TY pro silver cdr’s I’ve ever gotten (98 score, 564 pie on last burn). I consider 99 & under 100 pie’s acceptable on a cdr. Feel like I wasted $65 or so on the Meritline order.

As someone recently & correctly mentioned in another thread, Meritline sells a lot of stuff from China. Wonder if these are counterfeit discs? My last Meritline disc order was also a bit below norm, though never had trouble with them before.

A gentle reminder: CD media has C1/C2, not PIE and PIF. At least, that’s how I think we refer to it.

Now my question is how do you get only ~564 C1 errors on CD-R media? I have seen plenty of great scans that only barely scored below 1000 C1 errors. What secret sauce did you inject into the burns?

As for the rest of your question, I’ve no clue. Other folks may well have seen a similar correlation with no real explanation.

[QUOTE=Albert;2702858]Now my question is how do you get only ~564 C1 errors on CD-R media? I have seen plenty of great scans that only barely scored below 1000 C1 errors. What secret sauce did you inject into the burns?[/QUOTE]
If you find out, please let me know too!

See this thread also: