Does P4 need thermal goo?

I bought a P4 2.53GHz retail and there isn’t any thermal paste in the box. Does the P4 go without it? My friend in a computer building class said his also didn’t come with any but I’m used to putting it on since everything after pentium…

If you purchased a retail version with HSF the thermal goo is preapplied to the bottom of the HSF on my 2.0a NW it was black and very thin as it should be if you use an after market HSF then by all means get somne arctic silver or similar

On every P4 I installed, I used some thermal grease. As long as you use a normal quantity, it can’t do any harm.

As the P4 @ 2,53 runs pretty hot I think thermal grease is a must!

Originally posted by lagger
If you purchased a retail version with HSF the thermal goo is preapplied to the bottom of the HSF on my 2.0a NW it was black and very thin as it should be if you use an after market HSF then by all means get somne arctic silver or similar

Thank you very much for responding this is what I have too. I noticed the black bottom but it didn’t rub off or anything so I figured it was part of the heatsink. Now I know I can safely run it using this.