Does on-the-fly copying really result in lower quality?

One of the options that you can enable in Roxio Creator DE is “Stage to hard drive for better quality (slower)”.

So does that mean if you do an on-the-fly copy of a CD or DVD, it will be lower quality? Why is that?

When CD writers first became affordable to the great unwashed (yeah, that’s me :slight_smile: ) I used to do on the fly copying all the time with no quality problems; the only problem that did crop up occasionally was making coasters because the drive couldn’t read the source disk fast enough to feed the writing software (normally due to a dirty/scratched source disk). This was in the days before burn-proof systems so if the writer ran out of data the write failed.

I would guess that it is the same with DVDs, but don’t quote me :stuck_out_tongue:

DVDs and CDs have a built in error correction strategy, so the occasional bit that is mis-read shouldn’t affect the whole.

Having said that, my gut instinct is always to copy to the hard-drive first; I don’t know what effect pausing and re-starting a write (i.e. actually making use of the burn-proof feature) has on the quality of a DVD, but I’m thinking it’s got to be worse than a straight one-time write.

Sláinte

Mark

As long as it doesn’t cause buffer underruns quality is the same.

And in modern drives even buffer underruns might not be a big deal. But if you intend to write with constant underruns, better scan the PIE/PIF levels to see how it fares.

I also have a theory that underruns might make it more difficult to read/less compatible on some drives, but that’s just an unbased theory.

As long as the CD/DVD Drive or HDD feeds the burner info faster than the burner is burning there is no difference. Say you have a 16 reader and you burn at 8x then no problem burning a DVD…