Does Nero installs codecs during setup?

Hi everyone!

Here’s my doubt:

Does Nero (the burning package) installs codecs during the setup?
Does it installs some kind of DivX/Xvid codecs automatically?

I want to install the program without any additional installation of codecs because I presume it can cause conflicts with codecs already installed in my computer.

10x.

FranZ, a very good question and I would want to know this if I were you.

I would ask Nero this question. They have to know. Good luck.

I’ve never had a codec problem as a result of nero…nero recode is a seperate package that may have it’s own. I’m thinking it uses the codecs installed already on your pc

So,
how can I install Nero without the crappy codecs?

Install a full version of vlc, and that will install better codecs…just a guess, but can’t hurt…:slight_smile:

The burning package of Nero does NOT install codecs. At least it didn’t in 6.x, I haven’t installed 7 yet so I don’t know about that.

But NERO DIGITAL (the package which includes Nero Recode and Nero Showtime) does very specifically install codecs. And they’re BAD codecs. The kind that utterly f*** your system’s ability to playback AVI’s on a semi-permanent basis. The kind you can’t remove. The kind that register themselves as the ultimate be-all and end-all codecs for filetypes you already have perfectly good decoders for.

:frowning:

I’ve never had any problems with NERO codecs. However, if you have more than one BURNING suite installed, certain DLL files can conflict

Really?

The actual xvid codec from xvid… has a priority in the system of “4”. The Nero codec for xvid… has a priority of “FFFF”. That means the real xvid codec will NEVER render xvid if the Nero one is installed.

I’m shocked that you’ve never had a problem, since the Nero xvid codec is terrible.