Does my problem lie with AnyDVD or Nero Recode

The problem i am having is when i sellect the option to (Import DVD) using Nero Recode 2.2.6.17 it stops responding and won’t import the DVD i have inserted into my ASUS DVD-E616P3.
I don,t get any error message at all and i can,t close Nero Recode 2.2.6.17 even if i use (Windows Task Manager) and sellect (End Task).
I have one ASUS DVD-E616P3 with firmware version 1.07 and two SONY DVD RW DRU-800A’s with firmware version KY05 but i don’t have any problem when i use my SONY DVD RW DRU-800A’s and the problem only accurs when i use my ASUS DVD-E616P3 to import a DVD.
I have (AnyDVD) version 5.4.4.1, if i uninstall AnyDVD and then use the (Driver CleanTool and RegistryChecker) from the Nero website i am able to import DVDs with Nero Recode 2.2.6.17 using my ASUS DVD-E616P3, but as soon as i install AnyDVD the problem returns.
Every application i have installed on my system work with my ASUS DVD-E616P3 without any problems what so ever even when AnyDVD is installed including all the applications that are included in Nero 6 Reloaded version 6.6.0.16 with the exception of Nero Recode 2.2.6.17 that is included in Nero 6 Reloaded 6.6.0.16.

If we are talking protected commercial DVD’s here - what else do you have running to allow Nero Recode to import the DVD? Nero Recode will not allow you to import a protected DVD. If you have another program such as DVD43 running this can cause some problems.

You could try to copy and paste the DVD to your hard drive - and then see if Nero can process it from there.

This happens with unprotected and protected DVDs, i also don’t have any other programs for DVD copy protection apart from AnyDVD.
This does not happen with AnyDVD uninstalled when importing unprotected DVDs and it only accurs when AnyDVD is installed and using my ASUS DVD-E616P3 if they are protected or unprotected.

@ d.chatten,

I believe your above trouble-shooting reveals that your particular problem is related to the Nero Recode software program and not related to the AnyDVD software program.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Nero Recode Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85) and see if Nero Recode Forum Members can provide assistance.

Best Regards,
bjkg

@bjkg

I would have to agree with you but what i find stange is that Nero Recode works fine with unprotected DVDs untill i install AnyDVD, and i have posted in the Nero Recode forum but it seems as if not many people read that forum so i thought people on here might beable to help or maybe “Oli” may have some idea of what the problem is.
I have and use CloneDVD2 which works fine but i would still like to beable to use Nero Recode.

You could try to run AnyDVD in “Safe Mode” (Settings->Program).

@Tru

Thanks for your your suggestion but i did what you said and tried running AnyDVD in safe mode but it didn’t make any difference.

Yes, it will, provided you have Anydvd running in the background.

I have nothing but problems trying to import dvds on the my Lite-on dvd-rom drive in conjunction with Nero Recode and Anydvd. However, I can import fine with my Plextor PX-716 using Recode and Anydvd on the exact same system. Why? No idea . . .

And Ahead has no idea either.

Clonedvd/Anydvd work fine with both drives.

You mistook what I said, what I meant was Nero Recode will not allow you to import or do anything with a protected DVD on it’s own same way as CloneDVD2 will not touch one either. It has to be used in conjunction with a 3rd party program to remove the protection.

Ah, sorry. I misinterpreted what you wrote. By the way, I’m told Ahead believes Anydvd is illegal to use in Germany . . .

I am firmly of the opinion the problem lies with Nero Recode.

Not a problem :slight_smile: - You will probably find that it is illegal to sell AnyDVD in the EU - which is why Elby will have sold it (or otherwise transfered) to Slysoft. Not sure if it is illegal to own or use it. Ahead are more than likely taking the hard line, so that someone like Macrovision will have no reason to try and shut them down!!

I sent an e-mail to Nero support about the problem i’m having, you will see below the e-mail i sent to nero support and the dumb reply i got back from them.

This is the e-mail i sent to Nero support.

The problem i am having is with Nero Recode 2 version 2.2.6.17, first i open Nero Recode 2.2.6.17 and sellect any of the options (Recode an Entire DVD to DVD, Recode Main Movie to DVD, Remake a DVD, Recode DVDs and Videos to Nero Digital or Recode Main Movie to Nero Digital) then when i sellect the option (Import DVD) Nero Recode 2.2.6.17 stops responding and won’t import the DVD i have inserted into my ASUS DVD-E616P3.
I don’t get any error message at all and i can,t close Nero Recode 2.2.6.17 even if i use (Windows Task Manager) and sellect (End Task), it also prevents me from using other applications so i can’t even get a screenshot of what is happening.
I have one ASUS DVD-E616P3 with firmware version 1.07 and two SONY DVD RW DRU-800A’s with firmware version KY05 but i don’t have any problem when i use my SONY DVD RW DRU-800A’s and the problem only accurs when i use my ASUS DVD-E616P3 to import a DVD.
I have a program installed by Slysoft called (AnyDVD) version 5.4.4.1, if i uninstall this program and then use the (Driver CleanTool and RegistryChecker) from the Nero website i am able to import DVDs with Nero Recode 2.2.6.17 using my ASUS DVD-E616P3, but as soon as i install AnyDVD the problem returns.
Every application i have installed on my system work with my ASUS DVD-E616P3 without any problems what so ever even when AnyDVD is installed including all the applications that are included in Nero 6 Reloaded version 6.6.0.16 with the exception of Nero Recode 2.2.6.17 that is included in Nero 6 Reloaded 6.6.0.16.
I have attached the relevent (InfoTool.txt) file to this e-mail and hope it helps!

This is the reply i got from Nero support.

Dear valued customer,

thank you for your email and your interest in our software.

Are you trying to burn with Recode?
Your ASUS is only a ROM Drive.
Just use the Sony for Recode.

Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

And they wonder why I refuse to drop 100 bucks on Nero 7…IMPRESSIVE support you got there. I know it’s been said before, but you really ought to consider not using recode and just sticking with CloneDVD. I’m quite sure the products work well with each other. :wink:

@SamuriHL

I would just like to backup my DVDs on the fly which you can do with Nero Recode, but as you can see by the reply i got from Nero support that i’m not going to be able to do that, at least not with my ASUS DVD-E616P3.
However CloneDVD2 works perfectly with my ASUS DVD-E616P3 and the only downfall is that i can’t make backups of my DVDs on the fly.

Yea, I know what feature you’re referring to with the on the fly copying in recode. It’s not entirely “on the fly” but yea, it’s as close as you’re going to get. Recode has some good features to be sure(it WAS written by the author of DVD Shrink, so, it was bound to be good), but, with the “excellent” support you and others have received from them on these kinds of issues I’d say that the benefits don’t out weigh the problems. Of course, to each their own and if someone’s happy using Recode and it works for them then they should stick with it. I don’t use CloneDVD exclusively even though I almost always use it for pre-processing my movies…even if I plan on using DVD-RB Pro for the reencode. That way I can get rid of annoying things like previews and certain special features I don’t want plus languages that I don’t care about. I know, other people use things like DVD Remake Pro or vob blanker, but, for me it’s just as easy to load up CloneDVD, put it in DVD+R DL mode, and go to town. In the end you’ll use what works for you. From what I’ve read in this forum, Recode and AnyDVD don’t always like to play well together and Nero has ZERO interest in fixing the problem. Such is life.

I ran into the same problem with a Toshiba DVD as the source drive. Appears Nero introduced something in the later versions of recode that cause this problem. On the same system I could import from my Nec DVD drive fine. I resolved by going back to version 3.0.127 of Vision Express (recode version 2.2.6.9). Works fine with with Anydvd.

Finally gave up and am using CloneDVD exclusively.