Does my liteon suck or what

vbimport

who still has a 5 series (40125/48125) liteon huh? probably in the trash right?

I had a newer Khypermedia (Benq) 48/24/48 burner in my other pc and decided to put it in this pc alongside my 40125s liteon to test some new 48x TY Fuji cdrs.

Now i’ve read that C1/C2 testing should be done in the same drive as the one that burns the discs being tested. But I don’t see why…

I burned a fuji disc at 16x speed in both the Liteon and the Benq.
Then I tested both discs in the Liteon for c1/c2.

Here is the test for a Benq burn at 16x speed, then read from the liteon.

Here is the test for a Liteon burn at 16x speed, then read in the liteon… and it isn’t even the whole 700mb. I’d say it woulda hit 30000+ c1 had it been a full burn.

The conclusion is a no brainer right? With 10x more c1, my Liteon blows!
What sucks even more is that I’ve been thinking that this Liteon was good this whole time. I’ve been burning hundreds of cd’s with relatively high c1 rates and weird burn marks in the dye at certain speeds (though they are all still readable currently, but who knows 3 years from now).
About 1.5 years ago, everyone was hyping this Liteon drive. :Z :Z :a

it may not be as much of a no-brainer as u think. try burning them at 40x and/or 48x and see what kind of results u get while scanning.

Originally posted by link626

Now i’ve read that C1/C2 testing should be done in the same drive as the one that burns the discs being tested. But I don’t see why…

Here is the test for a Liteon burn at 16x speed…
Neither do I.

The write speed is quite alright. Nothing’s wrong w that, unlike your LiteOn, I’m afraid.

Try KProbe instead of CD Speed.

actually, kprobe and cdspeed give me similar results. So i just used cdspeed for this test.

Now, I just tested some Ridata brand 48x riteks.

Again, both cd’s were read with the liteon, since the benq does not detect C1.

Benq 24x burn (20x unavailable):

Liteon 20x burn, adjusted to 18max y-axis:

This is about as good as it gets for the liteon. When burned at 32x, C1 exceeds 50000 as shown…

For some frickin reason, the liteon always shows a sh*tload of C1 in the beginning of the disc, no matter what speed I burn at.
The C1 only drops after the 10 minute mark.

I’ve got a 40125W and it’s never burnt a coaster in it’s life, on any kind of cd media. The point is does the disc play\install OK in what you want to use it in? If so then the tech results are meaningless. Also are you running the latest firmware?

I’ve actually just swapped my 40125W drive out for an 851S DVD burner, but I’m not loosing the drive because whatever I’ve tried copying in it, it works. I’ve made perfect backups of stuff with the latest copy protections using Blindwrite. Stuff that has been said to be hit and miss here on Freaks, but I’ve never once had it fail. Typically I write general stuff at 16x and audio at 4x.

Overall I run 2 x NEC ND-1100A DVD Writers and 1 x Lite-ON LTR-52327S and now the Lite-ON LDW-851S. I also keep on standby a Plextor PX-W2410TA and now the Lite-ON LTR-40125W, because you never know when you might have a failure. I couldn’t tell you when I last burnt a coaster on any of them. Although I have to say the NECs are a bit DVD media finnicky. The last batch of Bulkpaq +R media I had was dreadful, but it looks like it’ll be fine with the Lite-ON.

yeah, the cd’s read fine, when they are 100% undamaged (which is usually the case), regardless of C1 error rate.

and true, I’ve hardly burned a coaster on the 40125.

But if what they say about high C1 rates leading to increased un-readability and degradation is true, then that is not good news for the crap I’ve got stored on these discs in the years to come…

I’d say you must have a bad LiteOn. I used a 48125W for many burns and it always had respectable scans. Still does in the wifes pc after I upgraded to the 52327S last year. I always burned at max speed and c-1s where minimal. But I’d still check the DMA and reinstall ide controllers before I turned it into a doorstop.

There’s nothing wrong with any of the posted scans, perfectly readable discs and well within normal limits for the older burners.

…since the benq does not detect C1.

Well, first of all, Benq is not supported by KProbe.

Secondly, seeing your scan like the one below and keeping in mind the length of the tested CDR,
it seems obviously that your LiteOn does burn horribly
( the scan made by Benq is pretty much OK though :wink: ):

Here’s what I think a normal scan is :

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
I’d say you must have a bad LiteOn. I used a 48125W for many burns and it always had respectable scans. Still does in the wifes pc after I upgraded to the 52327S last year. I always burned at max speed and c-1s where minimal. But I’d still check the DMA and reinstall ide controllers before I turned it into a doorstop.

no way… :eek: :eek:

maybe i should flash my 40125s into a 48125W and see if it burns better.

if possible, could you post some scans from your 48125w drive, read at 40x speed?

the DMA settings are fine. ide controllers are by Intel. I don’t think these need any tweaking…

maybe i should flash my 40125s into a 48125W and see if it burns better.

This won’t change a thing.
I used to flash this drive of mine back and forth depending of the FW releases @that time,
and when ZS0P was issued I just took it back quitting doing so.
If you rewinded like to summer- fall 2002, you’d find lotta intersting things on this subject.

who still has a 5 series (40125/48125) liteon huh? probably in the trash right?

Nah not yet…
It should have couple more months into it.

Originally posted by simplelife
Nah not yet…
It should have couple more months into it.

hey. that scan is better than anything my 40125s is capable of, especially with cmc media!!!
and it looks like the only thing different is that you have the 48125w.

Forgot to add, that disc is burned at 16x.

Look at the same brand burned at 40x. Tweaking the speed around a bit to find a right spot.

Burned at 40x.

I know this is not the best burn. Obviously, when compared with 52x LiteOn. But this is acceptable for me.

Compared with same princo one at 16x.

Yes, especially when it comes to the Phthalo.

Also it’s been known that :

Originally posted by BoSkin

Really good discs will usually produce pretty much the same results at all speeds.
However, there are many situations where you may need to test at a slower speed.

For one thing, many discs will generate lots of serious errors at high speed, or not play at all.
Certain types of defects will be greatly magnified at higher speeds. In this case, you may wish to try re-testing at a slower speed.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that the disc is no good. CD-ROM drives will fall back to a lower speed if the disc is not readable at the current speed. They also use up to 10 re-tries to recover the data. In most applications, the user is completely unaware of this.

Generally if the disc performs well at high speed, it is a pretty good bet that it will work at lower speeds, although this is not always the case. Since CD-ROM drives are optimized for higher speeds, drive performance may be compromised at lower speed. Also, results can be affected by vibration, which varies with speed.