Does my computer have dvd capabilites or not?

vbimport

Hi,

I’m confused.Yet this is likely an obivous answer

My dell dimension 4500s was bought in 2002 and for whatever reason untill now I have needed to detrimne if my computer has dvd,dvd rom, dvd r etc capabilites.

The reason for this question is that I tried to play a dvd-rom game on my computer in my cd-rom drive and nothing happened. My father says that when he purchased it,they promised I would be able to burn dvds and play them.

I checked up on my system and I have a CD-RW Drive and SCSI CD-ROM Device.But when I checked on properties for the scsi,it asks for the setting of DVD regions.Plus, in system32, it has a DVD player icon/place holder and a DVD upgrad thing.

I’m confused.

I didn’t list any of my other infomation because I’m not sure what you would need to answer. Feel free to answer via here or PM.

Thanks a bunch,

Polethebear

I sounds like it has only a CD-RW drive; download and run DVDidentifer to check; better yet Nero Info tool http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html

Yeah, agree with CC.

DVD Identifier will work just fine…if you have trouble, nero cd-dvd speed will work as well. If you don’t have it, there’s a download link in my sig.

I took a quick look at this dell and it looks as though it only comes with a CD-ROM or a CD-RW. I’m not surprised about the lack of a dvd writer given the age, but it should have had at least a DVD-ROM drive

back in 2002 CD-RW drives the DVD-Rom were common, some had DVD-R/RW drives; but many places were clearing out older stock so some PCs had no ability to play or burn DVDs; the price of a replacement DVD+/-RW is so low just replace the drive.