Does mode 1 take more space?

vbimport

I dont even know how it exactly works. But someone said that mode 1 writes some parity data for the things that are on the disc. Wouldn’t that take a lot of space? wouldn’t I save a little bit more of space with mode 2 then?

Mode 2 Form 2 uses less error correction data and allows to store 800 MB on a n 80 min disc

Originally posted by alexnoe
Mode 2 Form 2 uses less error correction data and allows to store 800 MB on a n 80 min disc
EIGHT !!! is that with overburning? that’s SOOO much! :eek:

No overburning, just less error correction so if the CD gets scratched there is a good chance of data loss.

Actually, 800 MB is with a bit overburning. Without, you get about 797 MB :smiley:

Originally posted by alexnoe
Actually, 800 MB is with a bit overburning. Without, you get about 797 MB :smiley:
hehehe and that 3 MBs makes a big difference;)
OK I have a movie that’s 770MB and I dont want to cut anything from it. I tried re-encoding it to make it smaller but I get errors. Anyways if I burn this with mode 2, do you think a really small scrach on the CD would make it unreadable? how sensetive are the CDs when they are burned in mode2?

Read this document for more basic info on cds, and also on used datamodes.

Mode 2 form 2 sectors are used to store videodata. The need for errorcorrection on video is less high, because an error in video data is less severe as an error in normal data.

if your file is an avi - its very susceptible to errors. if it is a .dat / vcd type mpeg file, you can burn mode 2 just fine. there may be utilities so that you can fake your cd burner out, and write regular data files as mode 2, but this is not suggested, because, as stated before, the parity checks that make data cds more reliable are not there.

You’d probably be best off using 90/99 min media.