Does Lite-On Produce A Good Quality BD-R Drive?

Hello everyone. I registered on this forum almost 10(!!!) years ago, and used to be a super-expert in DVD burners, quality scans, media, etc. In fact I used to have 4 optical drives running in my PC at one time! :smiley:

A lot of time has passed and I am no longer an expert. I am looking to get a new Blu Ray writer drive. Quality scans are important to me, and I see that Lite-on is the main suspect if you want to do quality scans of BDR, DVDR, CD-R, etc. Unfortunately I remember in the past that Lite-on suffered from poor quality control, inconsistent products, etc. I am interested in quality products. I Lite-on still still questionable in this area? Or do they have a quality product?

Here is what I am looking for. Will Lite-on BDR drives meet my needs?

1. Consistent quality burns. (I have spent untold money on media. I buy the good stuff! I don’t care about burn quality on cheap media.)

2. Ability to flash to RPC1 now, or with patches expected to come out soon.

3. Ability to perform quality scan.

Helpful comments are appreciated.

Welcome back to the forums.

I think you’ll get better answers in the optical drive forum, so I’m moving you in there and will leave a redirect here in the Newbies. I know a little about the Pioneer and LG drives, but not so much for the Lite-on’s so I’ll let Deanwitty and the other experts answer your questions.

Welcome back, Max!

Have a look here http://club.myce.com/f33/french-study-bd-r-archival-329441/#.UJahU2_yroo for professional level burn quality comparisons among recent drives. Basically, it comes down to Panasonic BD-R’s and Lite-on BDRW drive if you want a one drive solution for your checklist.

Personally, I would consider getting a Pioneer and a Lite-on 112 to give you your scanning ability and a little more freedom to choose among other good quality BD-R’s with high burn quality.

So it sounds like nothing has changed… Lite-on drives are full of the features loved by tweakers, but if you you want the consistent burn quality, Pioneer is a good choice.

I am designing a new PC build and sadly I cannot take my beloved BenQ DVDRW drive with me due to its IDE interface, so Pioneer it is!

Thank you for your feedback.

[QUOTE=Jucius_Maximus;2662480]So it sounds like nothing has changed… Lite-on drives are full of the features loved by tweakers, but if you you want the consistent burn quality, Pioneer is a good choice.

I am designing a new PC build and sadly I cannot take my beloved BenQ DVDRW drive with me due to its IDE interface, so Pioneer it is!

Thank you for your feedback.[/QUOTE]

For a few bucks you can get a ide to sata converter for the back of your drive. I did with my Liteon 20A3P and it is still my fav burner and scanner. Under 5 bucks shipped on ebay. Under 3 bucks if you can wait for it to ship from China.