Does ImgBurn change nav files before burning?

vbimport

Hello all.
My quick question is: Does ImgBurn change DVD navigation files in any way before burning them to disc?

Using CDCheck, I have found that I continuously get errors in four types of files on DVDs that were built using Adobe DVD Encore. These files are:
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO

I use Adobe DVD Encore for authoring and for building DVD video files (single layer). I then use ImgBurn (or Nero) for burning. I started running my DVDs through CDCheck and am dismayed to find that these same four files provide “compare” errors every time (comparing the files that Encore built on the HD with the files that ImgBurn wrote to disc). FYI, these are discs that have one simple menu with one button, and one video file, which is generally long/large enough to fill most of the DVD. They’re pretty basic DVDs.

I read online that Nero can sometimes add padding of some kind to certain navigation files, which can cause this error, but I did not know ImgBurn did the same thing.

Incidentally, when I use DVD Shrink for backup and Nero/ImgBurn to burn, I do not get any errors in CDCheck. So it seems as if the problem lies with these specific four files that Encore builds, which ImgBurn (and Nero) change somehow during burning.

I have tried various media (TY, Sony), tried two different drives, different project builds, different hard drives…but these same errors come up every time.

Does anyone have any idea what’s going on here? Thanks.

yes ImgBurn may alter your project to ensure playback compatibility.

Hi Troy,

Thank you for the links. I’m not sure, however, what parts of those linked pages you are specifically referring to–can you specify a bit?

Also, I find it hard to believe that Adobe DVD Encore would not build video_ts folders that have acceptable playback compatibility. Is there a setting in ImgBurn (or Nero) that turns this “change” off?

In total honesty, I just began using ImgBurn because I read that it was a great program for burning, so I am not familiar with all the ins and outs yet.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the links. I’m not sure, however, what parts of those linked pages you are specifically referring to–can you specify a bit?

not know just how you are using ImgBurn, i was just guessing you were using build mode. first link is Build Mode Functions and second link is for Build Settings.

Also, I find it hard to believe that Adobe DVD Encore would not build video_ts folders that have acceptable playback compatibility.

and im sure it does :slight_smile: , i am no expert in by any meaning of the word. :bigsmile: this is all just a guess on my part. :bigsmile:

Is there a setting in ImgBurn (or Nero) that turns this “change” off?

again, i really do not know much about dvd structure. the two links i provided for build mode is pretty much all i can give you.

is there a problem with the output from ImgBurn? will the burned disc not play properly? can you give more details as to the “compare errors”?

In total honesty, I just began using ImgBurn because I read that it was a great program for burning, so I am not familiar with all the ins and outs yet.

ImgBurn is a really great program and you have made a good choice. :smiley: for the most part i use all default settings, only changing the file locations and few other non-important settings. all the settings [[B]except burn speed[/B]] related to the actual burning i leave at default. :slight_smile:

The burned disc does play properly. I am concerned because when I run the “compare” function in CDCheck on the burned disc to make sure that it burned correctly, I get error messages on the following files:
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO

After each one, CDCheck indicates: “content mismatch (code: 62).” Which means that the file on the disc was burned differently somehow from the original file on the hard drive. The burning program changed it. That’s all the info that CDCheck gives you.

I have tried all of CDCheck’s recommended fixes for this, and since I do not get the same errors when burning discs that were built in DVD Shrink, I believe that ImgBurn and Nero change these files when Encore creates them. It happens every time.

Of course it is not a problem if the discs play when I try them on my player. But the CDCheck folks say that content mismatches can be a serious error that can give playback problems, which means they could happen when I give my discs to others.

Does anyone know anything about the IFO/BUP 32K file padding? I thought maybe that was what might be going on here, but I don’t really understand it enough to say for sure. I cannot find the same option in Nero (where the files are changed in the same way as in ImgBurn). Just an idea.

I do not get the same errors when burning discs that were built in DVD Shrink

you mean built with DVD Shrink and not Adobe DVD Encore.

by default DVD Shrink burns using Ner0 or there is a version which uses ImgBurn.

i wouldnt worry about the compatibility of your output. Lightning UK was the author of DVD Decrypter and now is the author of ImgBurn. i trust he knows what he is doing.

I trust the maker of ImgBurn too. But if I am getting these content mismatch errors in CDCheck on my discs, I’d like to know why. The maker of CDCheck says these errors can be serious and affect playback. I don’t want to go to the extent of reformatting/adjusting this and that (as the CDCheck folks advise to fix content mismatch errors), if the problem lies with a simple thing that ImgBurn or Nero is adding during the burning process.

Update: I took the IFO/BUP 32K file padding off, to see if that made a difference when running CDCheck. No luck. ImgBurn burns and verifies perfectly, but CDCheck still gives “compare mismatch” errors on those four files.

I am so frustrated. There must be something in the VIDEO_TS folder that Adobe Encore creates that engenders a mismatch after burning, but it’s driving me crazy as to why it’s happening. Byte for byte, these four files on the DVD look exactly the same as those on the hard drive, so I can’t imagine what buried error CDCheck is finding. And I’m pretty sure it’s not a problem with my hardware because the DVD Shrink-created VIDEO_TS folders all compare perfectly.

So the files it (CDCheck) says don’t compare 100% DO actually compare 100% when you do it at byte level using ‘comp’ or something more GUI like - i.e. Beyond Compare?

If the files all match up, I don’t see as you have a problem.

ImgBurn does have to correct certain fields in the files sometimes but they’re only pointers to where the vobs start etc. Without 32k padding and assuming the files aren’t just plain wrong in the first place, there’s no reason for ImgBurn to modify anything.

Thanks, Lightning. (PS–I have been using and loving DVD Decrypter for years. Just started with ImgBurn. Thanks!)

On to your questions. When you mean byte level. I am just doing a side-by-side comparison visually. The video_ts.bup/ifo files are both 12,288K on both the HD and the DVD. The vts_01_0.bup/ifo files are both 65,536K on both the HD and DVD. I don’t see any difference at all.

When you say “byte level using ‘comp’ or more GUI like Beyond Compare”–are these programs/processes I should try? CDCheck was my first stab at a checking program so I’m not familiar with others. I had always just relied on the verification “OK” from Nero or ImgBurn to know if a DVD had burned correctly or not. (Until now–ha!)

Thanks.

lol oh, you’re just comparing file sizes and saying they’re the same?!

Yes you need to start using those tools. ‘Comp’ is available on all windows installations but it’s a CLI (command line) application. Beyond Compare is shareware and has a pretty gui.

Basically you just need something to do a hex/byte comparison on them.

Once you’ve found the exact offset that’s different you can open said IFO in IfoEdit and find out which field has been changed by looking up the address.

Thanks, Lightning. Please bear with me…this kind of stuff is all new to me.

I downloaded Beyond Compare and ran the “Hex” test on an Encore-authored DVD that I burned with ImgBurn just this morning. The same four errors came up in CDCheck.

Here is a screenshot of the results I got for the VIDEO_TS.IFO file (difference lines only). My original Encore-built file is on the left. The VIDEO_TS.IFO file that ImgBurn wrote to the DVD is on the right.

As you can see, there is a mismatch between the “IF” and “1B” items in the first line, as well as one of the dots. In a line further down, there is a “20” and “1C” that are different, and another dot. (Do the dots just indicate the letter/number error in the preceding line?)

This is as far as I got. I downloaded the IFOEdit program you mentioned, but I have no idea what to do with it or how to open the IFO to look at the fields. I think I could use more guidance at this point. :slight_smile: Thanks for your help.

The dots are an ASCII representation of the hex value.

i.e. There are 16 hex numbers and 16 dots… only the dots aren’t dots if the hex value can be represented by a character.

So 0x44 = D, 0x56 = V, 0x44 = D, 0x56 = V, 0x49 = I etc etc.

Maybe this will help you understand the other stuff… http://dvd.sourceforge.net/dvdinfo/ifo.html

Thank you. To be honest, though, this is all a little beyond me although I’m trying very hard to understand. The bottom line is that ImgBurn wrote this file (and the other 3) incorrectly to DVD, right? What else would account for these values being different? There was no other program between Encore’s build and ImgBurn’s burning process.

I did manage to open the IFO in IFOEdit. But I’m not sure what I’m looking at. For example, there are addresses that match “00000000” in many of the items (VMGM_MAT, etc.) while I can’t find that “00000810” address anywhere. As for the “IF/IB” and “20/1C” values, they are nowhere to be found.

Help. :slight_smile:

I have been trying to figure out the information for the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in IfoEdit for about an hour now. I give up. This is all gibberish to me. I am willing to learn, but between ImgBurn, CDCheck, Beyond Compare, and IfoEdit, I am completely confused and have no idea where to go for help next. With all due respect to Lightning, whose help I really appreciate, his last post did not explain what to do next with the results I got in Beyond Compare or how to interpret the same IFO information in IfoEdit.

If a kind soul out there who understands all this hex/address/offset stuff would like to take a look at my mismatched VIDEO_TS.IFOs (and the other three files) with one of these programs, I will gladly send the files your way. (I will even pay you, if you like, that’s how frustrated I am!) But unless I have an answer as to why ImgBurn is burning these files incorrectly, I will have to look into finding another burning program.

Thanks.

This is the important part.

You admit you do not understand the programs you are using to try to check the results, and yet you assume a problem exists. If the output from ImgBurn were “incorrect” and causing problems for playback, believe me there would have been some sort of outcry around here by now. :slight_smile:

Hi Kerry,

I began using CDCheck because I burned a disc for a friend and her DVD player did not play the disc. When I ran it through CDCheck, that was when I found that I got compare mismatches between the IFO and BUP files that Encore built and ImgBurn burned. Just because the DVD plays properly on my player does not mean it will on others’, and these errors could be why. This is why I am concerned. CDCheck should not find these errors on every single Encore/ImgBurn DVD I create.

I got the compare mismatches in CDCheck and then found in Beyond Compare that there are errors on two of the lines of code. I don’t have to make any assumptions about a problem existing. The errors are right there in the screen shot. I don’t have to understand the programs to see these errors. I just don’t know what to do next about them.

And please understand, I have tried to understand these programs. Here’s where I am faltering: I see these two lines in Beyond Compare that have two errors in them. When I open the DVD’s VIDEO_TS.IFO file in IfoEdit, I do not see anything that looks like these two lines. How do I move what I learned in Beyond Compare to IfoEdit? This is where I have been stumped, and admitting I don’t understand after trying is not shameful.

I believe that ImgBurn is a good program, but I’m trying (desperately at this point :slight_smile: to figure how how these errors are introduced during the burning process, when they should not be happening.

They’re not ‘errors’, they’re just changes so the pointers in the IFO are correct for the burn that ImgBurn is doing.

The first change in that file is the field at offset 0x000C (although the change you see is actually at 0x000F - that field spans 0x000C - 0x000F). If you look at the page I linked to you’ll see that field is just the one used to describe ‘last sector of VMG set (last sector of BUP)’.

So ImgBurn has taken the size of the files in that vts (i.e. VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB (if present) and VIDEO_TS.BUP), added them together and calculated the REAL size (in sectors) before then updating the field within the IFO.

ImgBurn has it’s own Verify (which works at byte level) so there’s not really any sense in using a 3rd party tool, especially if they can’t take into account changes which are made for good reason.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2186383]ImgBurn has it’s own Verify (which works at byte level) so there’s not really any sense in using a 3rd party tool, especially if they can’t take into account changes which are made for good reason.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Lightning, that’s great info. Maybe checking with you regarding the quote above will solve this problem. I have read two differing things about verification in ImgBurn:

1. The verification process is the same as CDCheck. ImgBurn compares the files it wrote to the DVD with the original files on the HD.
  2. The verification process does not do any comparing. It simply reads the burned DVD to make sure that it reads OK with no errors.

Which is correct? Online folks have said both, so I don’t know what to believe. I began using CDCheck just in case ImgBurn only read and didn’t compare during verification. But if ImgBurn truly does do a compare process as part of verification, then I’ll just forget about using CDCheck and trust that ImgBurn knows what it’s doing when it makes those changes to the IFO and BUP files.

Number 1 is the most correct statement.

It doesn’t compare just the files though, it compares everything (i.e. the file system, slack space etc). Basically it reads and compares every sector on the disc from start to end. Every byte in every sector on the media is compared to the corresponding sector/byte within the (virtual, in the case of Build mode) image file.