Does flash memory get slow when capacity is larger?I bought a 16 Gbyte ADATA FLASH memory. I am suspecting that the transfer of files is Slow. My question is does the transfer rate becomes slow when t

vbimport

I bought a 16 Gbyte ADATA FLASH memory. I am suspecting that the transfer of files is Slow. My question is does the transfer rate becomes slow when the FLASH memory gets bigger (capacity)?? My 2 GByte FLASH is much faster.

I transferred a file from my computer to the two flashes:
16GByte --> 3.5-3.7 MByte/Sec.
2GByte --> 5 MByte/Sec.

Can any one give me a clear answer to this issue please.

Thanks in advance.

Flash memory is mostly being sold with capacity as the selling factor, with perhaps reading speed as the other selling factor. This means that most manufacturers don’t care about writing speed, and are happy to use components with large capacity and good reading speed but poor writing speed.

In the days of 2 GB Flash memory cards, SLC technology was being used which has better writing performance than the MLC technology mostly used today, while MLC technology is cheaper per MegaByte.

If you want better write performance, you need to seek out Flash memory cards that actually advertise a high writing speed, such as e.g. the SanDisk Ultra and Extreme cards.

Welcome to the MyCE forums! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2582843]Flash memory is mostly being sold with capacity as the selling factor, with perhaps reading speed as the other selling factor. This means that most manufacturers don’t care about writing speed, and are happy to use components with large capacity and good reading speed but poor writing speed.

In the days of 2 GB Flash memory cards, SLC technology was being used which has better writing performance than the MLC technology mostly used today, while MLC technology is cheaper per MegaByte.

If you want better write performance, you need to seek out Flash memory cards that actually advertise a high writing speed, such as e.g. the SanDisk Ultra and Extreme cards.

Welcome to the MyCE forums! :)[/QUOTE]

That’s really a new information I didn’t hear about and seems very logical :). Thanks DrageMaster.

It could also be the compatibility of card to reader, I’ve found one reader that would only do 32x with some cards, though the reader was faster on a different card, and the other card was faster still in a different reader.

I know on my thumb drives they are super fast but as the leftover space is less and less it will slow down on transfer speeds.