Does filming in HDV give you better DV

vbimport

After spending weeks learning a little about video formating I am now more confused than ever. My aim is to produce standard DVDs that have good clear (sharp) visuals and clear voice 9X16 PAL.(these are instructional art dvds). After purchasing a Canon HV-40 HD camcorder I realize High Definition is limited to those with HD players. So my question is - do I film and edit in HD then change format to DVD or as I prefer - set the camera to DV? - which of these should give me the better result ? Would be happy to hear any other tips on how to maintain good video resolution throughout the editing process…

Any conversion results in a loss of quality. So if SD is all you are interested in then use DV. You gain nothing by going from HD to SD.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2478551]Any conversion results in a loss of quality. So if SD is all you are interested in then use DV. You gain nothing by going from HD to SD.[/QUOTE]

Generally speaking, I agree. But there are some people who want HD originals and then give SD copies to family or friends who don’t yet have HD playback equipment. In this case, then if the camcorder supports 1080p25 recording (which in Canon PAL camcorders is actually PSF encoded), it’s fairly easy to convert to 576p25 once you acquire software which properly supports the editing of PSF-embedded videos. (After all, resizing of progressive-scan video is a piece of cake compared to the resizing of interlaced material.) Plus, if 576p25 content is to be written onto PAL DVD, it should be done so with an authoring software which applies the proper 2-2 pulldown for compatibility with standalone DVD players (which are native 576i50).

However, many PAL-market HD camcorders only record in 1080i50, which is much more difficult and time-consuming to properly convert to 576i50: The video editing software programs by themselves do a terrible job of converting from one interlaced resolution to another. They usually cannot pull individual fields apart (which is required for the proper interlaced-to-interlaced resizing), and their resizing engines do not properly resize half-frame fields without introducing artifacts. As a result of this, additional (and often expensive) processing software and/or hardware is required to do this properly: These specialized software programs and hardware devices pull the individual frames apart into half-frame fields, then apply adaptive deinterlacing methods, then (if an interlaced final result is desired) apply scan conversion to the video. The speed depends on the hardware and software used: Expensive specialized mastering-studio-grade hardware does this in real time, but software resizing programs on a typical high-end PC may take several hours for each hour of video reprocessed.

Thank you for your replies I will film my art lessons in DV and my personal shots in HD. In fact I filmed a painting lesson yesterday - the camera remained fixed to a trypod and I moved the art board around as I worked - (this way I could ‘pan’ etc) zooming via a mechanical device (bicycle hand-brake cable attached to the camera) While painting and talking I watched a TV monitor and kept the brush in the middle of the screen. The camera remained on auto focus no problem there. I am so pleased with the result,you can see the brush strokes better than with the naked eye - looks like I had a film crew - Thanks again