Does DVDFab give the best picture quality?

vbimport

I have been ripping my DVD library to ISO for playback
via a WD-TV for the convenience of instant movie selection.

After ripping about 200 movies with Anydvd and CloneDVD2, I
noticed that the picture quality was not quite as sharp as
the original DVD. I downloaded the most recent DVDFAB 30 day
trial software and I’ll be darned if it doesn’t make sharper
looking movie copies (ISOs) of DVDs.

I am not using compression but I am ripping just the main movie
and AC5.1 track to save space. I thought that since I was NOT
compressing the movie to fit a 4.7GB DVD+R that the video copy
would be the same no matter what software I used. Not so…

Has anyone else found that DVDFAB makes better quality copies
than CloneDVD2?

Is there an “all-in-one” program that makes even better quality
copies than DVDFAB?

Thanks
Tom

In my other post I mention how DVDFAB seems to create
sharper looking DVD copies (for me) than when using CloneDVD2
even though I am not compressing the movie.

I was wondering… If you rip just the “Main Movie” and
AC5.1 track, do you lose picture quality vs just cloning
the entire DVD? Here is what I was thinking…

Does the Main Movie get re-coded when you only grab the
Main Movie and AC5.1 track (ignoring the others)and thus
cause a degradation in the picture quality of the ripped
copy compared to the original DVD?

hmm… Who has the answer??

Thanks
Tom

With DVDFab the video stream will only be transcoded (c.f. encoded) if the resulting data is too large to fit on your chosen destination media (i.e. DVD5, DVD9), otherwise it should be left unchanged.

I assume the same is true of CloneDVD, but don’t use it so can’t be 100% sure.

That is what I thought but did the test ripping 2 different DVDs.
Since I am using DVD9 output size for my ISOs, I would never run
into this issue. Both DVDFab and CloneDVD2 indicate (in their own way)
that I am ripping for 100% quality.

I ripped both disks using DVDFAB and Anydvd/CloneDVD2.

I saw noticeable difference on my 50" Pioneer Kuro. The ISO copy
from DVDFab had more “depth of field”. The images seemed to have
more 3-D pop to them while the CloneDVD2 copy had a less 3-D look
to them.

Interesting,
I have never noticed any A/V variations between the two programs, on my system they are indistinguishable

Hi nezwek and welcome to MyCE :flower:

This sub-forum you posted in is for discussion of DVDFab and related products only so I’ve moved your thread to the main Movie Copy Software forum which will allow you to discuss this more freely.

I’ve also merged your other thread as the posts are essentially the same topic.

As far as ripping goes, if there’s no compression then there will no loss in quality as the rip will be identical to the original DVD.

You may have used different compression settings in the different programs as that’s the only way there could be any difference in visual quality.

Comparing transcoders is a very subjective process but there are differences in how the various transcoding engines perform. Sometimes these differences are purely a matter of opinion.

When compression is required the best quality is always delivered by a full re-encode and if you want experiment with this I’d recommend trying the free version of DVDRebuilder.

[B]Wombler[/B]

That statement has no evidence to support such claims. I would say which CloneDVD2 are you referring to?? There is another company using the legit slysoft name illegally and saying their software is slysoft. I used CloneCD and CloneDVD to make backup and only time you see notice picture quality is when you use CloneDVD to do compression. I think you will find your settings in CloneDVD set at dvd9 to dvd5 settings. If your just ripping the movie you do know Anydvd can do that without even using CloneDVD although I have read other used CloneDVD to do the same ripping process as well. Maybe you should try to do just a straight backup and test how good the playback quality really is. ie dvd5 to dvd5 and dvd9 to dvd9…

[QUOTE=nezwek;2494247]That is what I thought but did the test ripping 2 different DVDs.[/QUOTE]

The only test results that you can compare come from ripping the same DVD with the two programs.

As someone else suggested over at videohelp, I think the difference is in the observer.

P.S. Cross-posting on two forums… sigh :rolleyes:

You guys must really enjoy being abrasive. If you have average equipment or can’t discern differences
in video quality then why assault me? I am not using compression as I previously mentioned. I guess
the people who responded didn’t read my post and preferred to just dismiss what I am seeing. It’s
subtle but on a Pioneer Kuro, a movie ISO ripped with DVDFab has more 3-D pop to it.

I posted 2 different threads because:

One was about differences between DVDFab results vs CloneDVD2.

The other was a general question whether removing sound tracks could affect the end results.
Thread #2 was not about DVDFab nor CloneDVD2.

I hate when people just make assumptions…

[QUOTE=nezwek;2494267]It’s subtle but on a Pioneer Kuro, a movie ISO ripped with DVDFab has more 3-D pop to it.[/QUOTE]

Can you be more specific? “3-D pop” isn’t exactly a technical term and since you’re viewing on a 2D TV I am finding it hard to understand what you mean. Depth perception in a 2D film can be enhanced by the director by using different focusing techniques which can vary from movie to movie, but for two software programs to alter a film at this sort of level would require a complete re-encode at the very least, which you would definitely notice by the hours of processing it would take.

DVD ripping programs should produce identical video streams when ripping in uncompressed mode, since all they are doing is removing the CSS and circumventing any other copy protections.

I view my films on a 46" Sony Bravia and am highly critical of video quality and any artefacting.

[QUOTE=nezwek;2494267]You guys must really enjoy being abrasive. If you have average equipment or can’t discern differences
in video quality then why assault me? I am not using compression as I previously mentioned. I guess
the people who responded didn’t read my post and preferred to just dismiss what I am seeing. It’s
subtle but on a Pioneer Kuro, a movie ISO ripped with DVDFab has more 3-D pop to it.[/QUOTE]

Sorry nezwek but the reason they’re disagreeing with you is that what you’re saying is simply impossible.

Ripping by itself does not degrade video quality at all since the video (and audio) is absolutely identical to the original.

Perhaps I’d better explain further.

There are several steps to copying a DVD to DVD-5 and I tend to find that “all in one” programs blur these boundaries in users minds.

To elaborate these are ripping, post processing, compressing & burning.

Ripping is the combined process of decrypting and transferring the files to hard disk. These files are identical in quality to the original since they are essentially copies of the original files but with only the copy protection removed.

Post processing is an optional step where you can remove titlesets etc. or edit the menus and command structure of the disc prior to compressing.

Compressing naturally enough reduces the files to a required size (frequently DVD-5 but not always).

And most obvious of the lot, burning, which records these files to a blank disc.

Even in “all in one” programs these steps still happen in sequence but because they’re carried out as one sequential process it’s not always as obvious whether compression has been carried out or not.

All programs rip at original quality then process the files according to the settings in the software.

If there is a difference then it has to be as a result of these settings.

[B]Wombler[/B]

What ever program you think is the best then I would just stay with it

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2494324]What ever program you think is the best then I would just stay with it[/QUOTE]

That would be good and all but when people don’t see the error of their statements any reasonable discussion is just mute…