Does DVDFab fully remove the encryption of a DVD?

So I want to rip a DVD to my HDD, but the DVD is CSS encrpted.
Can I rip the DVD with DVDFab ?
And if/when I do so, will it completely remove the encryption from the Original DVD?
Is there a way of telling if the DVD has been ripped ?

Thanks alot :slight_smile:

Hi toaster
DVDFab will remove CSS and a long list of other protections. It will even show you the protections it finds and plans to remove from all DVDs. Make sure you download your DVDFab installer from dvdfab.com–it will say CSS Version. Here is a link to the download page: http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

[QUOTE=mechanical_toaster;2279491]So I want to rip a DVD to my HDD, but the DVD is CSS encrpted.
Can I rip the DVD with DVDFab ?[/QUOTE]

Yes

And if/when I do so, will it completely remove the encryption from the Original DVD?

Yes

Is there a way of telling if the DVD has been ripped ?

There will be a file there you can play, or burn out

Thanks for your replies guys.

When I was asking about does it remove the encryption from the original DVD, I do mean the actual DVD, not the ripped file.
So basically, if I ripped the DVD, took the DVD out, then put it back in, would all encryption still be there? Or will it have been completely removed from the DVD.
If someone were to look at the DVD could they tell ?

If you are talking about the original movie disc No it will not change the original movie disc at all and No you can’t tell if it has been ripped

The original DVD is read-only and cannot be changed.

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2279504]If you are talking about the original movie disc No it will not change the original movie disc at all and No you can’t tell if it has been ripped[/QUOTE]

In addition to that and just to be very clear, ripping of rented DVDs is illegal and discussions of such are not permitted see -

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/announcement-copying-rented-dvds-illegal-such-discussions-not-allowed.html

I didn’t see anywhere where ripping of rented movies was mentioned, seems like you were assuming

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2279536]I didn’t see anywhere where ripping of rented movies was mentioned, seems like you were assuming[/QUOTE]

No, just CYA

Right CYA :iagree::iagree::iagree: maybe I took it kinda wrong

[QUOTE=signals;2279505]The original DVD is read-only and cannot be changed.[/QUOTE]:bow::bow::bow: Thanks Paul as I forgot to add that :sad::sad::sad:

So overall, there is no possible way to alter the original DVD?
The encryption will remain there as it is ? :slight_smile:

YES

Of course you can alter the original, all you need is sandpaper or steel wool and you can remove the encryption. And the data, but that’s a minor side-effect :slight_smile:

The only way to remove the encryption and region encoding is to make a duplicate DVD with the DVD-to-DVD product. If this is your goal it’s easy, if you just wanted to make sure the original is preserved then you’re safe.

Maybe I can put it more simply about the original DVD disc.
The commercial original should be a pressed disc.Meaning there is a layer between the plastic pressed from a master mold.
The original is not a burned disc so a DVD drive in a computer has no way to remove or add data.
The discs you burn have a dye which the laser in a DVD drive alters.That alteration is the data .The drive is able to read this burned data.

So to jdbower, or anyone else, say if I were to…

Put the DVD in my drive, run AnyDVD to remove the encryption, then use DVD Shrink to make a back-up.
Would this cause the actual DVD to lose its protection/encryption?

Thanks for that Cholla :slight_smile:

No, NOTHING can touch the original. DVDFab can create a new DVD that has no encryption, but you can’t modify the original.

Thank you very much jd, and for putting it as simple as you did! :smiley:

[QUOTE=mechanical_toaster;2279586]So to jdbower, or anyone else, say if I were to…

Put the DVD in my drive, run AnyDVD to remove the encryption, then use DVD Shrink to make a back-up.
Would this cause the actual DVD to lose its protection/encryption?[/QUOTE]This of course is the DVDFab forum.