Does dvd writing speed affect in any way the life span of a dvd reader?

vbimport

i have been searching the forum and altough i am now confident that writing speed and dvd quality depends entirely on your media and also your burner, theres some people telling me that the xbox 360 reader will have a shorter lifetime if i uses discs burnt at 8x instead of 2.4, i was about to tell this guy think this is bullsh**t, but i wanted to ask you guys the pros for a better opinion explanation so i can answer politely :stuck_out_tongue:

i also thought it probably has something to do about the xbox 360 coming with many models of readers (benq, toshiba samsung, liteys, and hitachis)

so please if anyone cares to extend on why this is or is not true, i will appreciate it.

Thank you.

Data is burned to the disk using a laser to make tiny pits in the dye layer of the disk. The [B]same[/B] pattern of pits is burned whether you are burning at 2.4x or at 8x, assuming you are burning the same data.

All data burned to disks will have some errors in the pattern, which is why dvd players and drive software have error correction built within them, and this is used when playing back the data. Using the error correction happens every time you play back a dvd, so it does not induce more “wear” in the drive or player. In other words, use of error correction is a normal part of using a dvd drive, and is such a miniscule factor in the overall wear and tear as to be insignificant.

Some drives and media combinations work better together at certain burning speeds. They produce fewer PIF and PIE errors at the ideal speed for that burn. But the resulting disk, whether a “good” burn or a “bad” one will not wear out the reading ability of the Xbox 360 drives. There are far more prosaic reasons for those drives failing, including excessive heat and poor build quality.

Thank you for your answer, this was pretty much what i was looking for.

now related to but not entirely the same thing …if i am burning at whatever speed, how can i check the burned “quality” with mi pc reader, i mean i know here are some tuts about using utilities to benchmark the quality of the burned discs, but how useful is taht if at the end the disc will be read in an xbox drive, so will this benchmarking mean anything at all if it is performed using 1 reader, but actually be used in another?

As a thumb rule, the tests used to check burned discs can give you a rough (I mean really approximate, not mathematically exact) estimation of how long a disc will remain readable.

In fact, because of the nature of writable media, these tends to degrade in time. The more errors there are on a burned disc, theoretically, more short is its readability in time.

So, is preferable to have the lower amount possible of errors on burned discs.

Bear in mind, however, that there is no mathematical correlation between the amount of errors and readability in time of a burned disc. In fact, the most important factor is the stability of organic substrate burned by laser. Good quality discs have a very stable dye and the disc will remain readable for a long time. Low quality media use lesser stable dye so these will degrade fairly quick in time and the disc can become unreadable after few months.

In general terms, a disc with more errors often (not always) is more difficult to read compared to a disc wit less errors, because these errors must be corrected before data can be retrieved. All drives are provided of error corrections mechanisms, so these errors are corrected without the user noticing it.

I said “not always” because it is very important also the exact location of the errors. A disc with a single error located in a specific place in the disc sector can be completely unreadable, and a disc with thousand of errors can still be perfectly readable if none of these errors is located in a critical place.

Too bad, recently most drives able to perform reliable tests of burned media are difficult to find, because most producers stopped to manufacture these drives :frowning:

So, if you can find a Liteon drive with a mediatek chipset then you can run quality tests. The alternative is running the reading test only, that is reliable enough in my opinion to evaluate a burned disc. If the reading graph is not smooth, then the disc has too much errors and should be trashed.

If you can find a very picky drive, testing your burned discs in that drive is the best way to find if a disc was burned good. If a picky drive can read without problems that disc, then every drive will be able to read that disc. If you use for tests a drive that can read everything, even heavily scratched discs, the test will be not reliable because is highly probable that another drives will be not able to read that disc.

If I’m not wring, xbox drives are pretty picky, so if a disc is readable in the xbox, then you can be sure that the disc was burned good :slight_smile:

I hope I answered your question and not confuse you more :o

yup, you answered very clear , thank you. i do have an old liteon burner , dont remember the model now, is there any way of finding out the chpset without opening the drive? ( have no problem opening it is not even inside the case now, but i am lazy ;))

edit model is shw-160p6s

The vast majority of Lite-on dvd burners used Mediatek chipsets. If you tell us the model number, someone here can confirm that it will work as a scanner (I’m personally not one of the Lite-on experts).

You can find the model number by right clicking the drive icon in Explorer, then click on Properties. This gives you a pop up window with a Hardware tab. Your optical drive should be listed there, showing the model number.
(Edit: and since the drive isn’t installed yet, it may have a sticker on the outside of the drive telling you the model number.)

You can get a free scanning program called Nero CD/DVD Speed here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/dvd_tools/nero_cd_speed.cfm

found it
its indeed a mediatek, thank you all again, i dont hang much in the forums, but i know i always find my answers here since looong ago (check account date :P)

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/lite-on-shw-160p6s/1436

I prefer never to use Max speed or power for anything. It’s like starting you car and go full throttle and then wander why it broke so soon.

JMO