Does Disney Have A New Copy Protection, Or Do They Just Suck?

I’m by no means an expert, but I would lean towards option #2

I got a bunch of little nephews and assorted cousins that watch the disney vhs tapes and dvd’s quite often…

So I thought I would back up the dvd’s…

Consider these 3 movies…

1. Aladdin - King Of Thieves - 1995

Tried to rip it and got an error…

List Index Out Of Bounds (2)

Visual inspection revealed a few scuff marks but not big enough to usually cause a problem. I cleaned the disc and it ripped just fine.

1. Bambi II - 2006

Visual inspection reveals a clear new surface no scratches or scuffs.

Used SmartRipper, DVD Decrypter, and Iso Buster.

The same file shows up bad on all 3 programs and cannot be ripped.

1. Narnia - 2005

Visual inspection reveals a real bad dye job. the dye is not spread evenly and is by no means circular.

Used SmartRipper, DVD Decrypter, and Iso Buster.

Half the files show up with errors and cannot be ripped.

Now all 3 of these play well enough to satisfy the kids, but since i haven’t watched any of these myself, I don’t yet know if the errors show up on the tv or not.

These errors only come up with disney movies…

I have backed up over 150 dvds in my personal collection, and never had any error, much less a list index out of bounds.

I have gone through a bunch of threads on this site and others and tried all the fixes, and the best it came up with was substituting the errors with dummy data…

Not acceptable for something I spend money on…

I got tapes that are 5 years old and have been played a hundred times or more that still look good…

Narnia and Bambi 2 barely have 5 plays each…

sigh

i don’t know anything about smartripper, but isobuster doesn’t remove copy protection and dvd decrypter hasn’t been updated in ages.

use a program that is updated for latest copy protections and you should be fine.

the new program ripit4me works with dvd decrypter or you can try dvd fab decrypter or anydvd…all of these should handles these titles fine.

So what you’re saying is that both discs will let me copy all files except one…

That one being one of the .vob files…

If that’s the way copy protection works, I’ll look into those other two programs…

Outstanding ripping tool in its day. However, that day (i.e. development) ended long before development ceased on Dvd Decrypter so, of course, it cannot handle any of the modern structural protections (e.g. ARcoSS or Ripguard).

I don’t know about that…

These 2 disney dvd’s are the first ones that smartripper could not handle…

My collection has many of the newest movies and smartripper never had a problem with any…

give one of the other mentioned programs a try.

apparently smartripper IS failing you now so why not be openminded and try something else?

philamber knows what he’s talking about. if it’s an outdated program then one of the others i mentioned will help you.

lol…

I am…

That’s why I left…

:slight_smile:

Here’s the readout…

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
Found & removed Macrovision RipGuard protection!
Found & removed error zones between files!
Found & removed invalid program from program chain!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 2 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

I just googled bad sector protections because I didn’t know that they could be used in that way…

I wasn’t trying to knock philamber…

It’s just tough to throw something aside when you’ve only had 3 problems out of 150+ backups…

So far you guys are steering me in the right direction…

I’ll know how good it worked in about an hour…

Thanks…

Worked like a charm…

Thanks to everybody who helped…

You people rock!!!

I’m having problems with, “The Little Mermaid.” Not the new platinum edition, but the two disk version before that. (The platinum edition’s actualy due out today I guess.)

Jim didn’t mention which software worked. Shrink won’t do it though. Does anyone recognise the output he posted? What software is it from?

JD

PS, trying RipIt4Me right now.

RipIt4Me did the trick. Glad I found it. :slight_smile:

JD

I found a new variant, well for me at least, yesterday when backing up Little Einsteins #2 DVD. If you have a 5 and a 2 year old you know why I HAVE to…

Got the movie out of the disk no problem, using anyDVD. But when creating the Xvid copy with AutoGK something weird happened with one of the soundtracks.

The DVD has two languages English and French and the English sound works just fine. However what was supposed to be French comes out as English too…

After looking at the files that came out of the conversion I noticed that the French (don’t know about the English, didn’t check yet) soundtrack is double the playing time of the movie…and low and behold; the French soundtrack starts halfway.

So I split the soundtrack manually in half and muxed it together, works kind of OK.

The drawback is that the sound is hard to get in sync and it bothers me as a matter of principle that I can’t back it up automatically. Anybody experienced this and know of a tool that can extract the exact right starting point for the soundtrack?

Will try RipIt4Me this weekend as well, but this one is a bit far fetched and I doubt it works…

KeMa

Looky here, quick and very cheap:
Download DVDFab Decrypter (free ) to rip all the files to your hard drive. It has never failed me. Ever.
Download DVD Shrink. It’s free so don’t pay for it. It’s updating ceased some time ago as well so it does not decrypt newer discs. Use it to select only the stuff on the disc you want, get rid of French audio completely, etc. and create an image that will fit on a single layer DVD ($0.30).
Download ImgBurn . Use it to burn the image onto a DVD.

The beauty of this method is that you can create a menuless DVD that just starts playing when your 4-year-old inserts it. When it gets to the end, they just push play again.

Now that you know how easy this is, go back and pay Fengtao $50 and get DVD Fab Platinum. Drop back by Imgburn and donate $10 to Lightning. Karma is real.

Thanks for the tips. Actually I wanted both French [B]and [/B]English, trying to get the kiddies bi-lingual (or tri-lingual as our native tongue is Swedish :slight_smile:

RipIt4Me somehow solved it, so I didn’t get to trying DVDFab Decrypter. The main movie I could never get the proper language extracted with, but I also found three shorter program streams each with one episode of the three that where part of the main movie. Those I could rip with the correct audio and make playable in the back-up.

Slightly weird having the same movie as both one long program and also split in three parts - well that’s the trick if you want a 1h10min DVD to fill 6.5 GB…

KeMa,
Try the above method. I think you’ll like the results. DVD Fab Decrypter will put the ENTIRE DVD on your hard drive, French bits and all. With DVD Shrink you can choose EXACTLY which bits you want and then create an image of even 9GB worth of that DVD which can then be burned onto a regular single layer DVD.

Newbie - so I hope that I’m not thread-crapping - just adding to the thread regarding Disney copies, in particular Little Mermaid 2. I sympathize with the above, talking about “little folks” and DVDs. You definitely need a back up for the thing to survive daily play.

So I tried RipIt4Me, which uses DVD Decrypter(?), since DVD Shrink and my old DVD X Copy ran into errors. RipIt4Me seemed to be chugging along fine until the third big VOB file, and then I ran into “I/O errors.” The program suggested cleaning the disk. I cleaned the disk, (which didn’t look bad at all), but ran into the same errors.

I was using my old rig, which is an NEC 4x burner. Maybe my newer rig with a newer NEC might be better at reading this disk? Or are my errors “protection” related?

Thanks all for any and all input. It’s been sometime since I’ve visited this site, but I do know that you guys really know your stuff. I’m absolutely nuts for this PC stuff for about 9 - 10 years now. I build 4 - 5 PCs a year for family and friends, and upgrade or repair another 5 or so per year. The DVD copying is an interesting novelty to me - I like the technology and knowing how things work. Thanks again.

• Bill

:disagree:Thank you for listing your comment. I have been trying to back up new DVDs for days now! You explaied it to where I could finally understand how to do it.
DVD Shrink alone won’t touch Disney, but DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink did the trick, Thank you for explaining it so that I knew how to use them both together!
Lisa Reiter

Actually this thread is pretty old and some of the software that is mentioned still my not work with the newer copy protection schemes.

I recommend that you use DVDFab HD Decrypter 5.0.2.5

Link: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

:cool::cool:

I know it costs money but I am partial to the anydvd software. On the subject of Disney though the latest National Treasure does have a new variant of copy protection on it but the latest anydvd will bypass it. :wink:

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2065569]I know it costs money but I am partial to the anydvd software. On the subject of Disney though the latest National Treasure does have a new variant of copy protection on it but the latest anydvd will bypass it. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah anydvd & clone cd/dvd will copy anything and if there is a new protection slysoft usually has an update for it within a week. :iagree:
It’s the beat software I have I think. but I’ve never tried DVDfab

[quote=platinumsword;2065506]Actually this thread is pretty old and some of the software that is mentioned still my not work with the newer copy protection schemes.

I recommend that you use DVDFab HD Decrypter 5.0.2.5

Link: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

:cool::cool:[/quote]

I’ve heard great things about DVDFab; I try to do way more research than necessary most of the time - guess I’m about to go ahead and take the plunge.